Find the answer to your Linux question:
If someone is bored stiff, and needs a little computer excitement.. they might setup an old box on the Net.. Pop in a scrap hd.. Install Ubuntu & Wine.. Then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to turn Ubuntu inside out, and chasing its tsunami tails...

If someone is bored stiff, and needs a little computer excitement.. they might setup an old box on the Net.. Pop in a scrap hd.. Install Ubuntu & Wine.. Then add "WinWall".. and sit back and watch the "fireworks"... Your hd will show just about the same reaction a Windows OS does when someone nasty has hit the PC with "Storm Virus"...
    The challenge is to recover from it without formatting the hd, to get a little insight in what Storm did to my computer this year, and what it will do to the Internet when it hits all the world's Net connected Windows operating systems...
    "Pop! goes the global economy", unless Linux is there before Storm gets there......

ummmmm......

rm -rf ~/.wine

windows viri are rediculously easy to destroy in linux ....
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    WoW! THAT'S all it took..? SUPER!.. You are Super!..
    How many decades have you been into Linux?..

Then it seems we need a list of all the cures to bug infiltration to Linux...
    The user need only to know which bug it is plaguing their hd.. Surf the name.. Find the code, and Fixed!..
    Is there a software that monitors Linux OS's for bugs, in real time..?
    Is there a list of codes, or did you just create that code from shear brute-force intellect..?

Did that code actually totally restore the OS.. or were there trace remnants of the damage still in the OS..? Did you have to do any other cleanups?..

Do you find that "Clam" slows down the PC.. like "a clam walking"..?
    Maybe it's just that I'm running an older model tower..?

When a strong bug hits a Windows OS, it generally embeds itself in hundreds of files, making it nearly impossible to repair.. like how "Storm" places 3-real nasty bugs in just about every file in the Windows OS...
    I upset the creator of "Storm", 3-times, and my PC got hit by his baby 3-times.. I noted "Storm's" evolution.. I saved a small "Storm" infected hd in an anti-static bag for future reference.. One day the science will be to evidence-track its creator with that hd... The last time my PC got slammed with "Storm", the hack-bully was messing right on my desktop, as if he had a connected keyboard.. I keyed in "Get Pampers!", and "Whamo!" the OS was suddenly totally nuked...
    I speculate that when that guy dies, one of his PC's will most likely hit the Net with "Storm", and all connected Windows computers will suddenly go thht!.. which means the business records of thousands of small businesses and students, will suddenly vanish into oblivion... Maybe the cure to "Storm" somehow lies in the code you cleared that Wine/WinWall mess with..?

What's your personal Linux security system and techniques?.. Links please...

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Anything Windows based that is running on Linux will be using Wine or one of it's commercial derivitives, therefore deleting the entire configuration directory will delete any nasties too.

Personally, I back up my data every hour and every month rotate one of my two offsite backups which I store in my banks "We hold documents and stuff for you" service. Overkill maybe, but it is currently free so I may as well get some use out of it

Linux is harder to infect with a trojan or worm than Windows, in the traditional manner (ie to make it part of a botnet) due to it's architecture so attacks thus far have tended to rely on the user doing something crazy, such as running some random script as root. However, you don't need to be root to delete all of your data. Your system is easier to recover than your data.

So:

Phase 1 is an almost compulsive attitude to backups
    Phase 2 is only running scripts I trust outside of some kind of sandbox (currently virtual box)
    Phase 3 is using the noscript extension in Firefox and only enabling enough JavaScript to get sites I trust working.
    Phase 4 is having a spi + nat firewall which is built into my router / adsl modem blocking all but the ports I need open.
    Phase 5 is recognising the scam phone calls we are getting in this country at the moment, which ask you to allow them access to your PC.
    Phase 6 is scanning through my logs on a semi-regular basis looking for any weirdness

None of those are Linux specific by the way.

If I had to sum this up in one word, paranoia!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    "in one word, paranoia!"

Exactly!.. The cure to "paranoia" is to solve and eliminate the problems that are causing one grief...

Just Joined!
    I have two PC's running on the Net for now... One is exclusively for the Net.. The other is my personal data PC, which I leave unconnected except for the occasional update or add-on...
    Both are running now.. One shows Firestarter has 3 hits, while the other has no hits..? Why no hits on one when they are both running on the same modem and router..?

_________

Does this mean that if one were to attach a fake-OS to the router, the router would seriously block attacks to ones real computer..?

_________

Now one shows 15 hits, while the other still shows none...