Find the answer to your Linux question:
By way of introduction, I am new on here but not to planet Earth, being 75 years of age and having first entered the cosmos of computers in 1963. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu is a lady

By way of introduction, I am new on here but not to planet Earth, being 75 years of age and having first entered the cosmos of computers in 1963. I wrote my first program on an IBM 1401 with 16 K memory, no disk and one tape drive. Working my way through a myriad of OS and software packages, word processors and such**, I have arrived at Ubuntu. Actually this my third try at Ubuntu, having scrapped it twice before out of frustration.

But then Ubuntu is free and one should not expect too much from free. Ubuntu is like a fine lady, coquettish and subtle. If you ply her with romance and intrigue, she will respond. If, however, you attack her with grimaces and loud cries, she will shun you and play tricks on you. She yields only to the one who will knock on her door every morning for a year. Then she knows you are serious. Now she will reveal her secrets whilst looking down at you with disdain.

I have finally romanced her sufficiently to see a DVD play, to watch my USB wireless card work, to affirm that sound works, that updates work. I have been able to ferret out how to install plugins and new software and to update, although I have no idea what it updated or why.

Be gentle with her and she will share herself with you. Be loud and crude and you will be disappointed.

** SPS, Autocoder, Full Autocoder, COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG, RPG II, SDA, DFU, CL, SSP, BASIC, DOS, DRDOS, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Windows 7, UBUNTU

Welcome to the forums merlyn645! It is an honour to have someone with us who has dedicated so many years in the world of computing! Not all of here are Spring chickens. I'm on my way to 53!

In case you haven't been in the Linux world long enough to have seen it, there is an adage in the community... "Linux IS user-friendly; it's just choosy about who its friends are." Sounds like you're well on your way to being a good friend to Linux!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Howdy and Welcome. As the Linux girl says. "I said I was free. Not Easy"
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Welcome to the forum.

Red face

I don't know, I just love posts like this... I am always on the look for posts by hazel and other old timers I happen to respect and admire deeply... merlyn645, I will read your threads...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn645 View Post
    By way of introduction, I am new on here but not to planet Earth, being 75 years of age and having first entered the cosmos of computers in 1963. I wrote my first program on an IBM 1401 with 16 K memory, no disk and one tape drive. Working my way through a myriad of OS and software packages, word processors and such**, I have arrived at Ubuntu. Actually this my third try at Ubuntu, having scrapped it twice before out of frustration.

But then Ubuntu is free and one should not expect too much from free. Ubuntu is like a fine lady, coquettish and subtle. If you ply her with romance and intrigue, she will respond. If, however, you attack her with grimaces and loud cries, she will shun you and play tricks on you. She yields only to the one who will knock on her door every morning for a year. Then she knows you are serious. Now she will reveal her secrets whilst looking down at you with disdain.

I have finally romanced her sufficiently to see a DVD play, to watch my USB wireless card work, to affirm that sound works, that updates work. I have been able to ferret out how to install plugins and new software and to update, although I have no idea what it updated or why.

Be gentle with her and she will share herself with you. Be loud and crude and you will be disappointed.

** SPS, Autocoder, Full Autocoder, COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG, RPG II, SDA, DFU, CL, SSP, BASIC, DOS, DRDOS, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Windows 7, UBUNTU
    Very well said! Thank You!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daacosta View Post
    I don't know, I just love posts like this... I am always on the look for posts by hazel and other old timers I happen to respect and admire deeply... merlyn645, I will read your threads...

Moderator Edit: <removed non-English portion of post - not in compliance with forum rules>

Sorry, it's been a while since I tried Spanish.
    Last edited by oz; 10-08-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so they don't like Spanish