Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi everyone, I'm fresh into Linux, I have just downloaded Fedora but I have tried Ubuntu before. I didn't like Ubuntu much although I don't really have a valid reason ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why choose Linux over windows?

Hi everyone,

I'm fresh into Linux, I have just downloaded Fedora but I have tried Ubuntu before. I didn't like Ubuntu much although I don't really have a valid reason for that but I do like Fedora.

I was wondering if anyone can share with me the reasons they switched to Linux from Windows. I'm a Windows person from way back, and I never have the common problems people tote about viruses, slow computers etc.

Also, I have 2 machines 1 with fedora and one with Vista. Is there some way I can remote desktop from one to the other without VNC? It seems more likely that Linux will be able to RD to Windows.

Thanks for your comments!

These threads may not be exactly what you're asking, but they're pretty close:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ted-linux.html

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...en-return.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks, its quite interesting reading what people have to say about Linux. I'm a dev but my skills lie entirely in ASP and C#. I hear that Linux is a good OS for developers. How so? I hear people saying that alot but I haven't seen any evidence (not saying it isn't true).

I want to move outside of C# and ASP as it limits me to Windows only dev. Which would be better to learn c++ or java? I think java is pretty easy to pick up when you know c#. What sort of IDEs could I use to develop in these languages on Fedora? And can i make programs from windows on Fedora?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by snagpoonage View Post
    Thanks, its quite interesting reading what people have to say about Linux. I'm a dev but my skills lie entirely in ASP and C#. I hear that Linux is a good OS for developers. How so? I hear people saying that alot but I haven't seen any evidence (not saying it isn't true).

I want to move outside of C# and ASP as it limits me to Windows only dev. Which would be better to learn c++ or java? I think java is pretty easy to pick up when you know c#. What sort of IDEs could I use to develop in these languages on Fedora? And can i make programs from windows on Fedora?
    Well there is also mono which is an open source implementation of .NET but ultimately what language(s) you want to learn will be guided by what you want to do
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Why choose Linux over windows?
    My Wallet. Viruses and Malware. Windows Rot. Speed. Just to name a few.

My gear runs poorly on Windows or on my more modern gear does not come with Windows and I can't justify forking out the bucks for a crippled OS when alternatives are freely available. Not a programmer. Just a user. So can't responsibly reply to your other queries.

Even the Windows XP that came on my EEEPC 701SD ran like a snail on SSD drive, I dd it to SD card and Put something on it that would run decent.

To each their own. Run what you brung is my view.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Cost, speed, money, free of windows anoyances, downloadable for free, no/few worms and viruses, and did I mention, it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by snagpoonage View Post
    You can program C# in Linux using the Mono framework. However if you're just keen on learning a new language, the jump from C# to Java isn't a very large one. I do Java for a living and picked up a lot of C# rather quickly.

MonoDevelop is a decent C# IDE, and for Java I'm partial to Eclipse.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Wallet determines everything. And since a writer in wire services don't earn much, i have to make the decision not to pay $300 every 3 years for a new release of Windows.

Although a major part of the switch has to do with the UI of Windows. Not because Windows' GUI is weak or anything, but after seeing what is essentially the same thing look and style for close to a decade, i think i've gotten rather bored of it.

Virus and malware have never been, and will never be the issue for me.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Cost isn't the major issue for me. If I thought Windows was worth the money, then I would buy it. With Linux (and BSD which I also run) I get a superior product which comes with complete freedom and happens to cost nothing.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

ved
    i have many reason to use Linux
    it is free for licence
    no requirement of anti virus
    fast speed
    it make me different from other
    secure .......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast