Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It's easy to spread the word about Linux.. I grab up all the small gig hard drives I happen to come across.. from towers at the curb on trash day, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

It's easy to spread the word about Linux.. I grab up all the small gig hard drives I happen to come across.. from towers at the curb on trash day, to garage sales and flea-markets, and hand me downs.. When I'm not busy for a few minutes, I DBAN Autonuke them, and install Ubuntu 9.10..
    I keep a few in the car's glove-box.. I give them away free, or trade them for hard drives, to people who are experiencing lots of troubles with Windows OS's... Generally these hd's simply bootup in any tower, but some old towers are seriously problematic.. I've turned lot of old problem-towers into parts.. then simply drop the e-carcasses off at the electronics recyclers, a couple blocks away...

Maybe it would be a good thing to drop off an Ubuntu-904 or 910 loaded hd to every computer shop.. There's only 10 to 100 in every city...

Just Joined!
    Familiarity - People are used to the Windows interface and file system, and see no reason to change and learn something new. I know the whole / /home /bin thing makes sense. But try explaining that to a convert who just wants to see his C: drive.

Availability - Windows is pre-installed everywhere. It takes effort to track down the alternatives.

Hardware compatibility - Distros have improved very much in the past 5 years in this area. But I remember distro hopping and expecting at least one piece of hardware not to function correctly when I booted up. The average user is not going to sit around for 2 days tweaking configuration files and rebuilding his kernel.

Software compatibility - It took me weeks to find the right combination of text editor and plug-ins to match the functionality and usability of Notepad++ for Windows. And no, I'm not interested in learning the billion keystroke combinations of vim or emacs (I eventually settled on gedit) Also, if you are dependant on any aspects of Windows for development (.NET, SQL Server, IIS, Access, or even Excel VBA) then forget it.

IMO linux has earned a reputation of being a geek's OS. When linux users pride themselves on their vim skills and how they can construct a picket-fence awk statement to search for a file, it leaves Windows users cold.

As an alternative OS, linux is quite happily co-existing with Windows and OS X. I don't think there should be a panic over 'converting' users from Windows. If people are happy with Windows then leave them to it.

This isn't some kind of religious war.

(or is it? lol)

Quote Originally Posted by jhonan View Post
    Familiarity - People are used to the Windows interface and file system, and see no reason to change and learn something new. I know the whole / /home /bin thing makes sense. But try explaining that to a convert who just wants to see his C: drive.

Availability - Windows is pre-installed everywhere. It takes effort to track down the alternatives.

Hardware compatibility - Distros have improved very much in the past 5 years in this area. But I remember distro hopping and expecting at least one piece of hardware not to function correctly when I booted up. The average user is not going to sit around for 2 days tweaking configuration files and rebuilding his kernel.

Software compatibility - It took me weeks to find the right combination of text editor and plug-ins to match the functionality and usability of Notepad++ for Windows. And no, I'm not interested in learning the billion keystroke combinations of vim or emacs (I eventually settled on gedit) Also, if you are dependant on any aspects of Windows for development (.NET, SQL Server, IIS, Access, or even Excel VBA) then forget it.

IMO linux has earned a reputation of being a geek's OS. When linux users pride themselves on their vim skills and how they can construct a picket-fence awk statement to search for a file, it leaves Windows users cold.

As an alternative OS, linux is quite happily co-existing with Windows and OS X. I don't think there should be a panic over 'converting' users from Windows. If people are happy with Windows then leave them to it.

(or is it? lol)
    Me agree! At least with my little experience from where I live. This island in the pacific
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Familiarity - People are used to the Windows interface and file system, and see no reason to change and learn something new.
    I think it's more that most people neither know or care what an operating system is. They just want to use their computer. In order to get Linux "out there", the people who need to be converted are the PC suppliers.

(or is it? lol)
    That would depend on who you ask
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

" I think it's more that most people neither know or care what an operating system is. They just want to use their computer. In order to get Linux "out there", the people who need to be converted are the PC suppliers. "

Excellent point Elija!!! It would be a wonderful thing if a company of Linux guru's hand made computers for sale with a bunch of Linux distros already on them!!

I would be willing to break one of my rules and go into debt to buy one of those computers!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2