Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Ctrl+Alt+Del - Windows to the soul (2004-07-14)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The way most of America sees OS's.

Ctrl+Alt+Del - Ctrl+Alt+Del - Windows to the soul (2004-07-14)

Good one MASONTX! During my early experiments with Linux, I went into a major office supply chain I frequent in the next town over and asked the nice lady in the computer section if they still had Red Hat Linux as I'd seen it on their shelves a year or so earlier. She replied, "What's Red Hat Linux?"
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

My first suse disc was on the back cover of a book that I bought; I was told by a suse operator to go to Best Buy and purchase a set of suse 10 discs. The " geek squad " clerks did not even know that the things were on the shelf in the store.

My real fun came trying to get a modem to hook up my computer to the internet using suse 10. Needless to say i made many phone calls and many trips before I found someone that turned me on to a web address that listed the modems I could use!

Then I had to search for a store selling one of the external modems I could use!!

I think it would have been easier to go to another solar system hollering " take me to your leader "!!

After getting a modem I had to hunt for the correct cable which i got at the third store I visited.

In all of those " New York City computer stores " I only ran into one salesman that had heard of and used Linux!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I only ran into one salesman that had heard of and used Linux!!
    I'm not sure I'd want a sales person helping me that has never heard of Linux, so I'm glad you found one that was familiar with the term.
    oz

Ozar, I have even been in computer repair shops where the repair people know windows and they heard of mac's but they were not familiar with linux!!!

On this forum folks know linux; but out and about in New York City linux users are assumed to all be Mensa members!! I guess that is why so many people are just scared s--tless of linux operating systems!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Ozar, I have even been in computer repair shops where the repair people know windows and they heard of mac's but they were not familiar with linux!!!
    Okay, I'm with you now. I thought you meant they've never even heard of Linux. I can understand them not being familiar with it if they've never used it, but if they've never heard of it, they are leading a very sheltered life if they truly are computer techs, at least in my own opinion.
    oz

After buying a Kerio firewall and installing it in my computer years age it revealed to me the malware I had on my computer so I brought it to a Staten Island computer shop that I had been going to. I taped an envelope onto the top of the computer that contained a letter explaining what I had found in the computer.

The next day I got a call to come pick up my computer. When i got to the store the manager called over the new guy that had worked on my computer!

This computer repairman told me that there wasn't any malware in my computer and told me he put my computer on-line for a windows xp update which I specifically asked not to be done in the letter on the computer.

I waited for the owner of the store to arrive and I insisted that he look at what I was about to show him on my computer. After looking he agreed with me that there was indeed malware on my computer but he claimed his shop did not possess the equipment to remove it.

He told me that all he could do was to erase my hard drive and re-install windows; so I had to send to hp for the xp installation discs which I got the next day through DHL and my hard drive was reformatted.

Now I freely admit that I am a computer illiterate but there are some people working in computer repair shops that are always out to lunch!!!
    Linux user # 414321

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Okay, I'm with you now. I thought you meant they've never even heard of Linux. I can understand them not being familiar with it if they've never used it, but if they've never heard of it, they are leading a very sheltered life if they truly are computer techs, at least in my own opinion.
    I'm doing a programming study right now, and some of my classmates don't even know what git is, and don't even think about asking them about Linux. All they know is Windows, and the class is quite visibly split up, between the people that do know what it is, and those that don't.

The other day one of my classmates made a statement about how Windows was better than Linux and things like that, and I didn't even have to defend my opinion as some other classmates told him the truth about how things really are. He didn't accept it and just told us to use Linux. I walked out as he isn't worth the argument.

Some people went to find me then to ask what this Linux thing was ...

Lord knows I am surely not a computer expert; but I am of the belief that people are " hooked on windows " for a few basic reasons.
    1. they paid money for it.
    2. it came already installed on there computers.
    3. people are generally scared of technology.

Linux users generally know the ins and outs of computers and software so they use one or more Linux os or they try them all out.

My friends and relatives all know about the years of hair pulling I experienced with windows; they assume that I use Linux now so I can solve their windows problems for them and I can!! I tell them to give up windows and use Ubuntu instead on the internet.

If they do not want to do that I tell them to just keep on suffering!!!
    Linux user # 414321

oz
    forum.guy
    I am of the belief that people are " hooked on windows " for a few basic reasons.
    1. they paid money for it.
    2. it came already installed on there computers.
    3. people are generally scared of technology.
    Seems like an accurate assessment to me, and they are pretty good reasons to cause reluctance for some computer users.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast