Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by elija It has the option to "Install alongside" an existing OS which I think is a renamed version of the same thing. Does that only show up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It has the option to "Install alongside" an existing OS which I think is a renamed version of the same thing.
    Does that only show up if you have an existing Linux partition? At the time I had Windows 7 partitions and a chunk of empty space.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Maverick is a disappointment for me. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu is not able to connect to the internet with my rtl8180 based wireless card. Luckily, I didn't install it, since the first thing I always do is to check the connectivity, and it failed. Really weird problem. The driver is present, it founds the card but none of the networks, although there are a number of them.
    It's nice, but useless for me.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Does that only show up if you have an existing Linux partition? At the time I had Windows 7 partitions and a chunk of empty space.
    No idea. It wasn't very prominent though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I've seen the the release candidate only, but I must say that I was impressed with the boot times. I'm not going to switch on my main PC though, as I want it to "just work".

OK, I got some bad experiences with Maverick. I am using an Asus EeePC 1000HE with Ubuntu Netboox Remix...

1. Update Manager crashed. I don't know exactly what happened (I had the update running over night since I have a slow connection), but this morning, it was still working and prompting the usual your "your grub.cfg has been modified." etc. Unfortunately, the main Update Manager Frame was in front of it and there was no way I could get to the other window. After moving it, both went "blank" (in this case just white). Load was still high so I thought maybe it's doing something but after 30 minutes, I gave up, killed dpkg and ran "dpkg --configure -a". Not really a big problem, but this is supposed to be user-friendly.... I wonder how many people know how to fix a crashed Update Manager.

2. Some people say, it boots faster, mine apparently doesn't. To the contrary, it feels very slow... But might be just now, so i can't really say much.

3. I dislike the menu. The new menu on the side of the screen is not well-arranged and takes a lot of space (on a 10.1" screen that is). Also, a lot of things didn't make it in the menu. (Any Administration is only accessible trough Applications?). But that's probably changeable.

4. "Main Menu" doesn't do anything. It neither represents the Menu nor does any changes to it. Why is still there?

5. My Desktop background was deleted (by itself not a bad thing, it's the sum of small things like that)

6. Window Management sucks. Sometimes if I start a program, it hides behind the currently running programs (no I don't have "Always on Top" activated). Supermemo 2006, a program I run with wine, is practially not useable anymore (e.g. I hit File->Exit and nothing happens because the alert "Really want to quit Supermemo?" hides behind the main frame -.-) I know it's a wine program and those are always difficult to deal with, but this is not a wine problem but a general window management (or whatever it's called) problem.

7. rfcomm doesn't work anymore. Scanning my phone with sdptool tells me the channels of my Dialup Networking changed. How would a OS update change the channel of a phone??? Surely a rfcomm bug, which doesn't really have anything to do with Maverick, but comes with it.

8. eee-control doesn't work properly anymore. It's running, but constantly produces a high CPU load (might correlate with no. 2). No surprise though, since maverick doesn't support it.

9. My maximus settings a completely ignored. Neither changing exclude_class nor no_maximize changes anything. This really sucks since now I can't even use emacs anymore. (might correlate with no 6)

The only positive thing I can see right now is a typo fix in cryptsetup, which now tells me "swap set up successfully" instead of "swap setup successfully"! That's great, isn't it?

I wish I had followed the rule "Never change a running system"...
    Last edited by tyho; 10-14-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: forgot two things...

Sad to hear that, tyho

5) The desktop wallpaper getting deleted is still there, inherited from Ubuntu 10.04, OMG. And that directly goes in Mint 10 now, *sigh*

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sorry to hear your problems tyho, this is why I always backup and do a fresh install instead of an in place upgrade. I wonder if most of your problems are being caused by the updater crash?

My emachines which has an Atom N270, boots to a working desktop in about 35 seconds, including POST and login which isn't bad.

I think I'm going to like the menu on the small screen as it gives plenty of real estate to the applications; it's kind of like Gnome Shell but I'm not sure how that type of interface will scale to a larger screen.

If by main menu you mean the Ubuntu logo, it should bring up a familiar looking netbook interface, again I'm left wondering if the updater crash has left your system in an unstable state...

I haven't had any of the window manager issues that you have experienced and yet again I am left wondering about your original crash and I can't comment on your specific hardware or Windows software issues as I don't use of them.

My recommendations would be:
    Backup your data and do a fresh install
    Make a feature request to Canonical that OS upgrades are made transactional in nature so that if they fail, your system is rolled back to it's original state.

If it helps, I do feel your pain, but all my upgrade woes took place with earlier versions of Windows and fresh installs bypass all of them and give the chance to have a good clear out.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I had excellant results with 10.10. I just got a new to me quad computer and USB wireless that I couldn't get any form of Ubuntu to install on, including the beta of 10.10. I tried the release of 10.10 and it worked flawlessly, even recognizing my USB wireless, something I was having trouble with with just about all linux distributions.

Just Joined!
    Trying it on my laptop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2