Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Maybe he's right. I've never heard of anyone with a Windows problem regedit.exe ftw!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Maybe he's right. I've never heard of anyone with a Windows problem

regedit.exe ftw!
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Prolly a laptop. Everyone knows laptops are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Someone else that never read Linux is not Windows (and doesn't want to be.)
    But Ubuntu really tries to be! This is the Ubuntu idea of user-friendliness: be so much like Windows that newbies don't notice they've made the transition. The flip side is that they never learn what Linux is really like and what you can do with it.

That's one reason I don't like Ubuntu (and yes, I have used it in the past). The second reason is that it's irreducibly complex (like Windows), which means there's a heck of a lot that can go wrong with it. And the third reason is that it's based on the unstable version of Debian and it's kept unstable by updating every six months, introducing a new wave of bugs.

I'm not surprised people get disillusioned.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy

comparatively speaking

Why would anyone bother with learning to ride a bicycle when a tricycle is so much easier? Some even go so a step further and learn to ride unicycles. It seems to me that some people simply enjoy more of a challenge than others, and those that accept the challenge are often rewarded for their efforts.
    oz

Well said Hazel.....well said and very true.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Complexity is a complex subject if you'll forgive the term.

For example, I have recently followed a couple of threads on this very forum where in one of which Hazel had a Hell of a time performing an upgrade of a "simple" Linux and another where a new version of Crux, another "simple" Linux required many, many kernel recompiles. In what way is that simple?

No wonder people get scared and think Linux is only for geeks!

Why would I go through all that just to use my PC? The only real answer I can come up with is I wouldn't, but isn't it great that those who want to can?*

Among many distros, I have used Ubuntu seriously since 08.04 and with the exception of Slackware it has been the most stable; with the caveat of Pulse Audio which doesn't afflict only Ubuntu. Slackware, while I love it as a toy to play with takes too much effort for day to day use. I don't use my PC to manage my operating system

* Let's see Windows beat that
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    For example, I have recently followed a couple of threads on this very forum where in one of which Hazel had a Hell of a time performing an upgrade of a "simple" Linux and another where a new version of Crux, another "simple" Linux required many, many kernel recompiles. In what way is that simple?
    I did have a hell of a time upgrading Debian, but I don't consider Debian particularly simple in its structure. Its strengths, which are considerable, lie elsewhere. As to Crux, it is one of the distros that require you to build your own kernel and I must admit that I have never done that in any distro without needing a couple of rebuilds. I suspect that's a common experience.

The word "simple", like the word "free" has two meanings which are often confused. It can mean "easy" or "the opposite of complex". In what way is Crux simple? In the second way, Elija.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

ubuntu is kinda a bastard. personally i think that before you give up on linux as a whole you should test out pclinuxos (my personal favorite) or mandriva.
    aside from a few learning humps i haven't experienced any major problems with pclinuxos and i have it running on several Frankenstein computers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2