Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
After several years of using Ubuntu and Linux on a dual boot system I am finally giving up on Ubuntu. I have been using it less and less as the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    me!

Why I am dumping Ubuntu for Windows

After several years of using Ubuntu and Linux on a dual boot system I am finally giving up on Ubuntu. I have been using it less and less as the unfixable glitches pile up. They are now so numerous I just don't think of booting up the Linux side anymore and think the space is better used by wiping it.

Here is a short list:

[1] I can't connect the printer I used to use on Windows because there is no driver in Linux:
    Connecting Starjet SJ48 Printer - Ubuntu Forums

[2] I can't backup my organiser to Linux because the Windows programme I used to use has no Linux equivalent and will not run via WINE:
    Backing Up Casio Organiser

[3] I can't share my files with friends who use Windows because of incompatibilities in file naming practices between Linux and Windows:
    [ubuntu] Transfering files to FAT32 usb drive - Ubuntu Forums

[4] Ubunutu has no programme with the functionality of BCWipe.

[5] My computer has a tendency to overheat and switch off with Linux that it does not have with Windows. This is happening even now on cool autumn days.

[6] Recently for no apparent reason the ability to save photos from the web stopped working. The process seems to go OK but when I look in the folder saved to nothing appears. Everything else (PDFs, doc format, rar and zip) still works.

[7] When I plug in speakers the sound from the computer does not switch off but continues its tinny drone which makes having quality speakers pointless. This doesn't happen on Windows.

[8] When I turn down the brightness of the screen, it automatically turns itself back up after a couple of minutes. I have to constantly be fiddling with it or accept that my eyes feel like they are being burnt out of my sockets.

This is just the list that comes to the top of my head. There are actually more reasons but it is exhausting enough just looking at this list.

Strikes me having Ubuntu is like having a classic car. It is a nice idea but you are going to spend most of the weekend under the bonnet and it will still run badly compared to a low maintance new model straight off the production line (I.e. Windows). It is really for the few and I can't see how it will ever be different.

Linux is not for everyone. Hope you find what you need with Windows.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    you dont work for windows do you?
    I thought it worked ok plenty of help files did you read them good luck, I have no troubles sharing with windows

Sad to hear your experiences,sir.
    Which version of Ubuntu you were using by the way?

You should use whatever works for you. Good luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Another pointless thread. Someone else that never read Linux is not Windows (and doesn't want to be.)

1. Blame the manufacturer.

2. Blame the manufacturer.

3. Joke. Windows understands FAT/NTFS. That's it. Linux understands HUNDREDS of filesystems. Clearly, Windows is far better at "sharing data." Clearly it is Linux's fault for supporting a larger range of characters in a filename than Windows can handle.

4. A wiping program? *Nix has hundreds.

5. Blame the manufacturer.
    (Skipping the rest.)

Well, good thing you didn't pay for anything. Have fun with whatever you think works best.

I have to admit I have never heard of anyone going from Ubuntu back to windows!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I have to admit I have never heard of anyone going from Ubuntu back to windows!!!
    Then you haven't experienced the real hardware hell in Linux yet.

Go buy a few USB WiFi sticks of obscure brands, an ATI graphics card whoose FGLRX driver does not support xorg 7.6, and you will fully understand why people hate Linux when it comes to drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    Then you haven't experienced the real hardware hell in Linux yet.

Go buy a few USB WiFi sticks of obscure brands, an ATI graphics card whoose FGLRX driver does not support xorg 7.6, and you will fully understand why people hate Linux when it comes to drivers.
    A picture is worth . . .
    Last edited by zenwalker; 11-05-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    Oh no!! I have bought Morris Minor car parts and they don't fit my Ford. Stupid Ford they ought to fix their cars.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast