Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok...so i guess i can start off by saying that switching to linux was one of the best things ive done in the past year...which is really saying alot LOL. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

man...i suck at these things

ok...so i guess i can start off by saying that switching to linux was one of the best things ive done in the past year...which is really saying alot LOL. Anyways i started using last year and i haven't looked back. I decided to join your forum so hopefully i can get get much better at using linux. (i use mint btw...lol i know noob distro, but hey gotta start somewhere)

Welcome!
    What are your machine specs?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    Welcome!
    What are your machine specs?
    thanks zen!

i have 2 that are running atm. i have this hp dv6000, 3 gb ram, dual core. thats all i know about it really...i hardly use since i think its a POS! then again i hate laptops period. it overheats all the freaking time even with one of those laptop cooling fan thingys.

i also have an old emachines desktop. intel celeron 3.33ghz, 512mb ram. slow as hell but reliable. does what i need it to.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard View Post
    (i use mint btw...lol i know noob distro, but hey gotta start somewhere)
    Welcome to the forums!

I've never tried Mint but it must be good because it's really taken off in terms of popularity. Hope it keeps working out and you have lots of fun with it.
    oz

"i have 2 that are running atm. i have this hp dv6000, 3 gb ram, dual core. thats all i know about it really...i hardly use since i think its a POS! . . . (also an) intel celeron 3.33ghz, 512mb ram. slow as hell but reliable. does what i need it to."
    --Drunkard

"Welcome to the forums!
    I've never tried Mint but it must be good because it's really taken off in terms of popularity. Hope it keeps working out and you have lots of fun with it.
    --oz "

It appears, if yours is a eMachines W3609, up to 2GB PC4200 RAM may be installed. This is most likely your main limitation, performance-wise. Even a 2X512MB setup will make LinuxMint-9-lxde much more satisfying to use.

In any case and ozar says, having fun is the main idea. So, may you do it!

Best wishes!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    "i have 2 that are running atm. i have this hp dv6000, 3 gb ram, dual core. thats all i know about it really...i hardly use since i think its a POS! . . . (also an) intel celeron 3.33ghz, 512mb ram. slow as hell but reliable. does what i need it to."
    --Drunkard

"Welcome to the forums!
    --oz "

It appears, if yours is a eMachines W3609, up to 2GB PC4200 RAM may be installed. This is most likely your main limitation, performance-wise. Even a 2X512MB setup will make LinuxMint-9-lxde much more satisfying to use.

In any case and ozar says, having fun is the main idea. So, may you do it!

Best wishes!
    Its a t3604. with a max of 4gb. I just upgraded the processor from an intel celeron d 356 to a dual core pentium d. I should be getting a 2gig stick of ram in the mail soon.

But your absolutely right. Linux is a bit harder, but once you get the hang of it there is nothing that you can do in windows that you cant do in linux.

I just love the fact that i haven't had a single virus since i start using mint.

Hang in there. Linux will set you free (of Gates).