Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is it that you can't find for free on the Internet and can't download for your own personal use? I am posing this question because nowadays everything there seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Movies, Books, Music...

What is it that you can't find for free on the Internet and can't download for your own personal use?

I am posing this question because nowadays everything there seems to be for grabs and I am wondering what's going to happen with the entertainment / publishing industry? My students no longer buy books but get digital copies from the Internet... I haven't bought a CD or a DVD in ages! I have seen the piracy industry is getting bigger but why buy piracy when you can get almost anything for free? Don't get me wrong: I am not advocating piracy but in time it will not pay any longer to be a musician (unless there is another model to make money considering today's reality...)
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Free doesn't mean 'without value'. There is a huge correlation between the world of the entertainment industry and the world of the software OS that we support.

I have shared files before - but I like to be legal. I keep Fedora and CentOS DVD images as the only files on my bittorrent share list - but music is too risky.

I too have not bought any music for ages. If I could get exposure to music that I might like, I'd probably buy it. But commercial radio is so woefully bad (everyone wants to be like BBC Radio 1, and that's utter garbage) that I never hear good music any more. I stick to my old music collection. The music industry has drummed me out as a customer. So much for DRM and criminalising file sharing.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/