Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm hooked on this marble mouse for photo-editing.. I fear the day it poops-out.. I wants one for each computer... I need four of them... Does anyone have used ones ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I really need some mice...

I'm hooked on this marble mouse for photo-editing.. I fear the day it poops-out.. I wants one for each computer... I need four of them... Does anyone have used ones cheap, free, or trade..?

TrackmanŽ MarbleŽ

Uggg! I really dislike those mouses - they're hard to use. If I had a big pile, I'd let you have them for nowt.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I probably know what you went through... When I first started using the thing I was ready to toss it in the bag, and go get a refund.. but I left it for a couple weeks, and learned to use it.. I can make a tight figure "8" on the screen with the tips of two fingers, fast, without any wrist stress.. I can use this thing even if it's piled under a mess of papers.. I set the mouse setting to fast as possible, and now I can just give that ball a snap, and it zips across the screen, and the cursor lands right on the button I want it to... You never ever move the mouse.. Your wrist and fingers never ache, even after hours of pix editing and artwork...
    It's like "riding a bike".. You eventually get good at it in a couple weeks... I bet you dumped the thing the second day... The second day it really pisses you off...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicbrat View Post
    You eventually get good at it in a couple weeks... I bet you dumped the thing the second day... The second day it really pisses you off...
    Actually, my Mum uses one - she had a stroke 10 yrs ago, and she finds it easier sometimes than using a regular mouse with her limited motor control. She's always breaking her computer, though... And guess who gets to fix it. I cannot get on with her mouse.

When you think about it, any mouse that takes you a couple of weeks to master is a really poor design.

Just Joined!
    "She's always breaking her computer, though... And guess who gets to fix it."

Same with my 80's mum.. She hates Ubuntu.. She tried it on an old desktop I set up for her.. She gave it back... She's running an HP media notebook, that she destroys the OS about every three months... I just can't figure how she does it..? Somehow she gets right into configs when she wants to fix something that doesn't needs fixing, then I gets the call to come and fix it.. Oyie! this XP is a bugger to fix.. and I've dumped windows because of all the grief it caused me... To me fixing XP is like having to unplug a plugged toilet with my bare hands... I really TRIED to get her to change to Linux...

Re: "Stroke mouse"..? Maybe a new mouse needs be designed..? Maybe a marble mouse with a baseball sized marble..? Has anyone ever made a mouse that works by verbal commands..?

Has anyone ever made a mouse that works by verbal commands..?
    What like 'up', 'up a bit more', 'a little bit more'... 'left a bit'. 'Left a bit more'... 'keep going'. 'STOP!'. 'Bugger, too far'. 'Back a bit'. 'No, wait'. 'Right a bit'. 'Right a bit more'.

Another bloody mouse that would take weeks to master... What's next on your list of good ideas? The joystick you control with only your knees and elbows?

Just Joined!
    I don't see it that way... I sees it, like a verbal chess game.. quadrants.. "mouse! A-5 to G-2" should work.. Icons would need be large...
    And/or, "left!".. or "right".. "up".. "down".. The desktop could have a watermark grid.. Would be good for those without hands, or those without use of hands... But i thinks that a baseball sized marble would work best for those who have extremely limited use of their paws...

There' a big demand for technologies for the Disabled...
    Someone will get wind of this, and it will be product within 8-months...

Banned
    voice navigation has already been implemented in Windows Vista/ Windows 7 and it works reasonably well enough to eliminate the mouse.

Now all it needs is some polish to smooth out those rough edges and it's be ready for mainstream adoption.

Just Joined!
    Have you tested it..?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you tested it..?
    Yeah. I snuck up on a Vista using friend while he was working on a document and said loudly and clearly

Select All
    Delete
    Save
    Close

It works very well
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast