Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Platform: Arch Linux, 2.6.35 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5900 @ 2.20GHz Browser: Chromium 6.0.472.62 (0), Mozilla Firefox 3.6.10, lynx 2.8.7rel.2 MUA: KMail 1.13.5, Gmail Web Interface ADSL Router: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ars Technica, Slashdot URLs in eNews won't open for me

Hello,

Platform: Arch Linux, 2.6.35 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5900 @ 2.20GHz
    Browser: Chromium 6.0.472.62 (0), Mozilla Firefox 3.6.10, lynx 2.8.7rel.2
    MUA: KMail 1.13.5, Gmail Web Interface
    ADSL Router: D-Link DSL-2500U

URLs to Ars Technica and Slashdot in eNews have been constantly broken for me recently. For example, yesterday I received this link: Slashdot Linux Story | Desktop Linux Is Dead , which gives me the "Oops!" page in Chromium, "Server not found" in Firefox and "Unable to locate remote host rss.slashdot.org." in lynx . I can open Slashdot - News for nerds, stuff that matters , however. I am behind an ADSL router with no proxies in my LAN. It has never happened to me (in recent days, too) that sites which I knew should work won't work. In other words, the whole Internet works okay, just as it had worked before the links in eNews broke.

I tried checking the link with Down for everyone or just me? , and it told me it's just me.

Does this necessarily mean that my ISP is messing with the traffic?..
    Last edited by unlimitedscolobb; 10-20-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Remove a bogus newline.

oz
    forum.guy
    Both links working fine here.

Don't know what your ISP might be doing, but they should have a support phone number where you can call them and ask what's up.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Both links working fine here.
    Yeah, I'd expect that, since Down for everyone or just me? tells me they are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Don't know what your ISP might be doing, but they should have a support phone number where you can call them and ask what's up.
    I'm a little bit reluctant to call them: it was critical that I did this twice in all the time, and both times I had to listen to the carrier signal for about 6 to 8 minutes... I guess I'll have to do that a third time now.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you tried using different DNS servers, for example

208.67.222.222 and 208.67 220.220 which are opendns.org
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Have you tried using different DNS servers, for example

208.67.222.222 and 208.67 220.220 which are opendns.org
    It works, thank you so much!

I have one question, though. When I had the alternative DNS servers added to the tail of /etc/resolv.conf, the pages wouldn't open anyway. However, when I put the configuration lines into the head, it started working. As far as I understand, I am now using only the opendns.org servers. My understanding of DNS before this was that if the resolution for a domain name fails on one DNS, alternatives are tried. Is this not so?
    Last edited by unlimitedscolobb; 10-23-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fix formatting for opendns.org .