Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday i thought i was being smart by trying to defragment my ntfs windows partition by moving all files to another drive (using ubuntu linux 10.04). And copying the files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help! Copying files to ntfs created 80% fragmentation!

Yesterday i thought i was being smart by trying to defragment my ntfs windows partition by moving all files to another drive (using ubuntu linux 10.04). And copying the files back. I thought this way all files will be placed on the partition without fragmentation because the drive was empty for a while. The end result was far from what i hoped for. Windows load times couldn't have been more slower and file fragmentation was at a stunning 80%! (before 25%)

What did i do wrong? Do i need to format the drive? I don't want to do that because it might not boot anymore. I just want it to be fast.

Also, any suggestions on how to fix my 80% fragmentation problem. Running defrag in windows doesn't work anymore because my drive is 95% full and it will take weeks for it to finish.

Also i don't want to format. I just want linux to recognise that the drive is empty and place the files in the correct order.

Has anybody ever had this problem, or was i the only one who thought that this might work?

All of us learn from accidents, except Chuck Norris cause he never had one.

Defragmenting the drive isn't magic, It can only be done by moving the data over the drive manually. Thats what defragmenter does.

Official Windows Defragmentation Utility is the best way to play safe. Just move some of your data to another hard-drive so you would be able to defragment the drive.

If you have the least that is 20% space free, You might have to make 1 or 2 more cycles of defragmentation.. The more smaller files you has and more free space you have will increase the defragmentation efficiency.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sometimes I like to call NTFS the No Telling File System, because there's no telling how it will behave. It all depends upon the driver you are using. In any case, I cannot recommend using an NTFS volume for normal Linux file storage. For read-mostly access to Windows data, fine. For write/update intensive Linux access, fergedaboutit. If you need common acces to data (read + write) from both Linux and Windows, then use Samba/CIFS or NFS depending upon where the data is located (on Linux or Windows), which location should be predicated upon which system is most likely to be the primary user/updater.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!