Find the answer to your Linux question:
Kind of a grandiose thread title, but it seemed fitting. The small step: I just switched from nvidia's proprietary graphics driver to the Free nouveau drivers. The giant leap: I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

One small step... One giant leap

Kind of a grandiose thread title, but it seemed fitting.

The small step:
    I just switched from nvidia's proprietary graphics driver to the Free nouveau drivers.

The giant leap:
    I now have no proprietary software on my desktop system at all.

While I didn't set out to be completely free, it's kind of a nice place to be. Nvidia's drivers were just becoming a nuisance for me, now they'll be updated with the kernel like they should be. I do have 3D acceleration, and while it's not brilliant, games are still playable, and the desktop is as good as ever.

Congratulations! I'm embarassed to say I just went the other way. I've been using the open source ati drivers, but I just installed the catalyst drivers. I'd only ever used them briefly before when I first started using linux, and I wanted to see how they perform in comparison. So far the main benefit is that I can watch hulu full screen without stuttering. 3D accel crashed X though. Not sure what the problem is yet.