Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, my name is Dimitris and I'm from Greece! While computers have been my favorite field -and I could even say, my talent- a small change of education plans ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi there!

Hello everyone, my name is Dimitris and I'm from Greece! While computers have been my favorite field -and I could even say, my talent- a small change of education plans led me into choosing Physics as my field of studies, which I also love.

But on topic now...! Like most people, I've been a Windows user since I bought my first PC about 8 years ago. Due to my age (10) I was mostly playing games on that machine, but I really liked to 'play' with the computer in ways that were out of the video-game realm. So I gradually evolved into the guy that most of my friends would call to help them install something, then fix something else, then format their computer etc. Along the way, I discovered the gem that is programming, and started getting involved in it (thanks to my Informatics teacher that has been my mentor in the subject) but I didn't get all the time I wanted to put into programming (C++ was my choice) because of hard studying. Now I'm older though, I started to find games boring and wanted to do something else, more creative with my computer: make programs instead of just execute them; use the computer less as a tool and more like a unique and fascinating subject. And here comes Linux. (OK, enough with the history lesson )

So I did my homework, researched about the different distributions and found that Linux (Ubuntu) suited my needs more than Windows. I only kept a few games and entertainment stuff I really needed, and created a dual-boot drive, so I can have both operating systems (I kept Windows because I have some games I love -passion never dies- and also because my mom and brother use it) while I work mainly on Linux.And now, without the distraction that games can be I decided to build a to-do list of the things I would like to learn so, one day, I can be a decent programmer and even get involved into game development (indie or not). I'll have to admit that after the years of using Windows, using the command-line that much seemed a little hard, but nevertheless more fun; I think it actually makes you try to find solutions to your own problems -thus being more educational, thought-provoking and more suitable for someone seeking knowledge- rather than rely on the ease of a binary file.

Sorry for the long introduction there...Being new, I didn't quite know how to introduce myself to the community, and I'm sure that some of the things I wrote might sound a bit 'newbie', so feel free to yell at me . As a final word, I'd like to say I'm happy I found such a supporting community on which I can rely to have a steady path in the Linux world, so one day I can be the one who will help others!

Oh, by the way, I don't know if it's appropriate for my first post, but here are my first goals and I'd love to get your feedback regarding my choices:

-->Learn HTML/Javascript/a database language
    -->Learn Python
    -->Perfect C++ on OOP approach

Quote Originally Posted by loxagos_snake View Post
    ...so feel free to yell at me :d.

hello and welcome dimitris!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with with your physics studies.