Find the answer to your Linux question:
A few months ago, there was lots of talk about 3D television, but now not so much it seems, so I'm left wondering if it's going to really catch on. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

3D Television

A few months ago, there was lots of talk about 3D television, but now not so much it seems, so I'm left wondering if it's going to really catch on.

Have any of you made the switch to 3D-TV yet?

If so, do you like it and would you recommend it to others, or do you now wish you would have waited a while longer?

Is there enough 3D content out there to make the switch worth while?

Thanks for any tips or opinions on the subject!
    oz

Linux Guru
    I enjoy seeing a 3D movie at the cinema, it's a nice popcorn experience and a bit of old fashioned fun. On the other hand studios have started using it everywhere, even when it's not really appropriate. I've only seen it used as a novelty and not yet in a way that accentuates the film (okay, well maybe Avatar).

Now 3DTV - that's another matter. They use the same polarised lens technology but on the 9-10 sets I've tried it it hasn't even partially worked despite me following directions to the letter. I won't discount the guys in the shops not setting it up right, I think I'll pull my hair out if I see another 1080p HDTV configured for interlaced frames or with a 4:3 image stretched to fill the screen.

Anyway I really don't think it'll pay off. The TV manufacturers had a few good years where most of the world wanted to upgrade from SDTV to HDTV and in increasing sizes. They already milked lots of people by unneccesarily stopping off at 720p screens for the double-whammy. I think 3DTV was just an attempt to continue in this trend and I haven't even seen kids excited about the prospect let alone tech geeks or the usual brand of home-cinema enthusiast.

Maybe I'm wrong but I really think it'll be ignored until the glasses aren't paid add-ons and there's genuine 3D content for free on television...just like most other technologies.

If you're getting a new telly, then getting one with 3D support isn't a bad thing. But I don't think it's worth getting a new telly because of 3D is a good idea.

I saw recently some Korean company had invented a proper holographic 3D television, one you could sit around. I can't remember the links or anything, but it looked a much better prospect than current 3D telly, especially for sports coverage.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    If you're getting a new telly, then getting one with 3D support isn't a bad thing. But I don't think it's worth getting a new telly because of 3D is a good idea.

I saw recently some Korean company had invented a proper holographic 3D television, one you could sit around. I can't remember the links or anything, but it looked a much better prospect than current 3D telly, especially for sports coverage.
    No, I'm really not in the market for a new TV at the moment, and probably wouldn't buy into 3D just yet even if I were. It still feels too new and I don't want to pay premium prices for the new technology that is bound to change a lot if 3D should catch on and take off. Right now, I'd be afraid that 3D might not fly with the general public and I might wind up with an expensive TV that would never be able to fully realize its potential.

The holographic TV notion sounds interesting, but I'm guessing that we might still be quite aways off from that ever going mainstream, but you never know.
    oz