Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have any of you ever gotten bored with programming, then come back to it? How does one re-interest his (or her) self with coding? I've dabbled in a variety of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Becoming interested in coding again

Have any of you ever gotten bored with programming, then come back to it? How does one re-interest his (or her) self with coding?

I've dabbled in a variety of languages (scripting and binary) but have almost always gotten bored with it at some point. I'm wanting to undo this now, and am looking for pointers on how to remain interested.

My fairly obvious tactic is to focus on goals, large and small; even with this, suggestions on goals are welcome. Also, perhaps one of the most distracting things in coding is the various other interesting things I find while learning, such as cryptography and different mathematical theories. How might I avoid letting these seriously distract me but still learn enough to use them whenever they come up?

I bet you didn't get bored of the coding itself, but of the material you were producing. The coding is just the way you realise the creations you're making - a bit like writing a book, you might get bored with the story or the drudge of putting onto paper, but its unlikely the actual process of inscribing the words onto the paper that you'd get bored with (you might get tired of it, but that's a different problem).

What I'm saying is that if you have the right project that keeps you interested, then writing the code is easy. When you have a project that you find uninspiring, it becomes tougher to motivate yourself.

Why not offer to help out some open source development that interests you?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    As irony would have it, I am also working on a novel to force myself out of a several-year writer's block. It's not that I don't know what to write or that I can't come up with something to write; I just don't like the process of moving the words onto paper. I have a $100 gamble going on the novel (with two months left to finish it...) so the novel will be done, regardless of my feelings of quality.

Perhaps your comparison is a bad one, but I feel that it is head-on; just like with writing, I find myself blossoming with ideas and concepts but I can't be bothered to bring them to fruition 90% of the time.

As with the novel, I am soon (not as soon; no wagers going on this) going to immerse myself in coding in hopes of working through whatever this feeling is.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The thing in common with any passion (programming, art, music, writing) is that you can't force yourself to be interested in it, and it takes a LOT of practice (work) to become great at it.

If you have to force yourself to program, you're never going to stick with it (unless money is on the line, but then it's a job, not a passion.) Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to get past the boredom. However, Roxoff is right, if you are not enjoying what you're creating, it's harder to stick with it than if you're programing something you want to work on.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Linux Newbie
    This is true; in that sense, I suppose I'm more passionate about the creation than the process. I guess I feel/hope that there's a "better way." Or maybe I just need to find a crew to do all the gruntwork for me :P

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    This is true; in that sense, I suppose I'm more passionate about the creation than the process. I guess I feel/hope that there's a "better way." Or maybe I just need to find a crew to do all the gruntwork for me :P
    It's always better to focus on the end result and making it as good as you imagine it to be - it makes the work involved with producing it much less of a hurdle in your mind. There is not 'better way' to getting good at something like this; you have to go through the process lots of times.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/