Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, nice to finally be on board and get a bit more involved with the Linux forum. My question is in fact a collection of questions. For some time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Complex questions

Hello guys, nice to finally be on board and get a bit more involved with the Linux forum.

My question is in fact a collection of questions.

For some time now i have been working on a sustainability project.
    It involves a house with a lot of different equipments that need to be monitored and controlled.

Since the project is open source, all of the components are also preferred to be open source, and for that reason i'm looking at Linux.

What i would like to do with it:
    1. Monitor and record all data coming from sensors
    Is Linux ready to run programs that interface with monitoring equipment ? (electrical, weather, etc.)
    Are there such programs directly compatible with Linux ?

2. Control all equipment from any computer terminal of the house
    The question here is analogous to the one above.

3. Run it 24/7 for unlimited time so it has to be uber-stable
    Also, in the event of a failure, the system must quickly restart itself and resume normal operation.

4. It must allow a smart network system designed for an eco-village.
    Each house will be connected to another 4 houses around itself.
    If one hub fails, the others are ready to manage the data flow.

Well, these are the questions/requirements. Besides answering them, I hope you can direct me to any open source programs that can do what i mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any help that will come

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the simple answers are all yes... As someone once said, the devil's in the details.

1. What kind of sensors, and what interfaces do they provide?
    2. Once the control software is in place, it should be accessible via a web browser from just about anywhere.
    3. I have had Linux systems up for over a year at a time. It is FAR more reliable than Windows of any stripe.
    4. Doable, but there are a lot of ancillary questions and issues to deal with, such as what kind of networking will be in place, what about backup power, etc.

As for what FOSS (free and open source) software is already available for this specific purpose, just remember, Google is your friend!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!