Find the answer to your Linux question:
I haven't gotten one of Microsoft's Kinect sensors yet, but I plan to. I think it's a whole world of "YES" as far as human/computer interaction goes. I'm also a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Kinect

I haven't gotten one of Microsoft's Kinect sensors yet, but I plan to. I think it's a whole world of "YES" as far as human/computer interaction goes. I'm also a gamer and own an Xbox 360, but I plan to use it with the computer (I perhaps won't even bother with games for it until a good fighting platform game comes out).

Of course, there's also lots of controversy about the open-sourcing of the driver, and Microsoft's rather comical take on all that.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you've heard, see what you think, et cetera; please post your thoughts, opinions, favorite hacks of and related to the Microsoft's Kinect sensor bar.

Oh, here's my favorite creation from it so far: a virtual sock puppet YouTube - Interactive Puppet Prototype with hacked Kinect

Linux Newbie
    I have obtained a Kinect Been busy "working" and recovering from said "work" so haven't had time to really play with it, though.

Here's the OpenKinect main wiki page, which includes stuff like API and other useful information, for anyone that's interested. Main Page - OpenKinect

One catch for me is I don't know how to do image processing, and from the looks of the API the two main functions get the RGB image and the "depth" image, so any useful functionality is going to come with more learning on my part. I'm thinking my first project will be something like "Simon Says" or "the statue game"