Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before you do your next system update you must install gdk-pixbuf. This has apparently been broken out of the main gdk/gtk package and needs to be installed separately; otherwise the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation A warning to Crux users

Before you do your next system update you must install gdk-pixbuf. This has apparently been broken out of the main gdk/gtk package and needs to be installed separately; otherwise the new version of gtk will not build. You need to install it with the -f option to force it to overwrite the existing /usr/lib/libgdk-pixbuf files.

Why don't they tell us about this sort of thing? I checked in the 2.7 release notes and found nothing, and nothing came in the mailing list either. This is the kind of thing that gives Crux a bad name.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Before you do your next system update you must install gdk-pixbuf. This has apparently been broken out of the main gdk/gtk package and needs to be installed separately; otherwise the new version of gtk will not build. You need to install it with the -f option to force it to overwrite the existing /usr/lib/libgdk-pixbuf files.

Why don't they tell us about this sort of thing? I checked in the 2.7 release notes and found nothing, and nothing came in the mailing list either. This is the kind of thing that gives Crux a bad name.
    Cranky, cranky Hazel! Documentation is something like standards - everyone has them, and they all miss something! Trust me, this sort of thing has made me become a ranting maniac on more than one occasion, so I fully commiserate! Anyway, at least you have the wherewithal to suss out the solution! As my mother would have said - atta girl!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

These things happen with Gentoo as I'm sure you are aware Hazel, I think it's just one of those things we have to put up with as part of our quest for being geeks.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    These things happen with Gentoo as I'm sure you are aware Hazel, I think it's just one of those things we have to put up with as part of our quest for being geeks.
    I think it's worse with Gentoo, where I believe over-generalised USE flags can give you circular dependencies. But I never set out to be a geek. I just wanted the simplest (as in simplicity) and fastest Linux system that I could find and Crux happens to be it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I think it's worse with Gentoo, where I believe over-generalised USE flags can give you circular dependencies. But I never set out to be a geek. I just wanted the simplest (as in simplicity) and fastest Linux system that I could find and Crux happens to be it.
    Yeah. I ran into that during my first encounter with Gentoo. I quickly discovered that the minimalist use of USE flags was much better from a system stability and build success pov.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!