Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay so I have found myself to be quite OCD about my workstation lately. Maybe conky is not the best thing to have looking back at me all the time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How OCD are you about your Workstation?

Okay so I have found myself to be quite OCD about my workstation lately. Maybe conky is not the best thing to have looking back at me all the time but I do enjoy it. I was just wondering how much everyone else analyzes there PC and monitors there resources? And if so what do you consider the cut off point?

The only time I pay attention is during a download, when I watch the download speed. The rest of the time I just use it and don't worry about usage rates, fan speeds, etc.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I don't monitor anything but I must admit I can't look away when things are compiling.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Quote Originally Posted by Anspliff View Post
    Okay so I have found myself to be quite OCD about my workstation lately. Maybe conky is not the best thing to have looking back at me all the time but I do enjoy it. I was just wondering how much everyone else analyzes there PC and monitors there resources? And if so what do you consider the cut off point?
    I defrag, wipe free space on my harddrive, and constantly move files around into "better" organizational structures.

TechieMoe.com - Moe's Blog - Hi, I'm Moe and I like toDefrag...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

TechieMoe what utility are you using to defrag? Also it is very refreshing to see that some of yall are as "OCD" about your boxes as I am. I dont really watch fan speeds as much as resources. I built a very large, over the top box so I like to see what bogs it down. Or thats what I tell the wife when I break something

Just Joined!
    I took "Workstation" in a broader sense. Sitting at my desk with hands on keyboard and eyes on monitor, all I survey has to be clean and relatively tidy. If dust becomes detectable (usually due to too much light), I have to pause and wipe the area down with a wet cloth. Food splatters on the keyboard sometimes don't become obvious until they dry, and those have to be wiped off, sometimes scraped off.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a just personal preference stuff, IMO. I like a tidy desktop (computer desktop - my real desktop is a rat's nest!). I always keep top running in one window, and I do monitor my network speeds since my AT&T outside cabling has been know to have problems with ground loops, short circuits, bad connectors, etc. that degrade the signal. Usually I have to call and complain a couple of times a year. Then they send someone out, fix the problem, and it's good for another 6-12 months...

In any case, I keep a third eye on the system. If it seems to behave abnormally, then I look at system load, processes, I/O stats, memory usage, etc. Usually I'll find that there is a program with a resource bug that got away from it. I kill the process, debug it, fix it, and move on.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!