Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I did my master's in embedded systems,but its been 3yrs since then and i haven't been refreshing my knowledge,now i want to work in embedded linux .Can anyone please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

latest technologies in market

Hi,
    I did my master's in embedded systems,but its been 3yrs since then and i haven't been refreshing my knowledge,now i want to work in embedded linux .Can anyone please tell me
    what are the latest technologies that are widely used in the persent market.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Newbie
    Hm... I'm going to state the obvious and mention cell phones. The ARM processors are competing with X86-based counterparts in performance and application. With 3/4G, etc networking we have pretty much become attached the Net whenever and wherever we go.
    There's plenty of demand for Android, Meego, and other Linux-based or embedded-Linux distros here, for marketing and for hacking (like putting Android on the iPhone, rooting Android phones, et cetera).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can pickup some nice ARM-based boards w/ Linux support for not a lot of $$ from Technologic Systems PC/104 Single Board Computers and Peripherals. I have one of thier PC-104 boards w/ analog and digital I/O daughter boards. Works great, and not very expensive for experimentation and learning how to build embedded Linux systems.

I used the board w/ my Ubuntu laptop to give a paper on embedded Linux development to an IEEE consultant's network group in Chicago last month. It was well received. Part of the presentation included reconfiguring the kernel, building the new kernel on the x86 laptop, installing the new kernel on the board, and showing how the new kernel on the board had the new features we built into it. The entire configure/build/install/reboot process took less than 5 minutes, starting from a scratch build of the kernel. I think they were impressed in that the board would boot Debian Etch in less that 1.5 seconds using the SD card or flash file system for the root file system, and 4.5 seconds to mount the root file system from the laptop using an NFS mount.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!