Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have been using Windows XP on my Intel P IV 3.20 GHz and 512MB RAM I need to know which linux version is better for me?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New To Linux

Hi I have been using Windows XP on my Intel P IV 3.20 GHz and 512MB RAM

I need to know which linux version is better for me?

mirzausman

Welcome!

You can try Ubuntu, or Mint among the many other user friendly distros out there.

Happy hunting
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

ubuntu or Mint are excellant choices. Go to distrowatch.com for hundreds of possibilities. Each distro comes with a basic description and tags indicating whether it is for newbies, experienced, older computers, etc. I would start with Ubuntu, and download some live distro's to try out. I prefer gnome or LXDE for a desktop, but many people love KDE or Xfce, it is a personal choice. Play around and have fun.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!

Post What version of RED HAT?

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    ubuntu or Mint are excellant choices. Go to distrowatch.com for hundreds of possibilities. Each distro comes with a basic description and tags indicating whether it is for newbies, experienced, older computers, etc. I would start with Ubuntu, and download some live distro's to try out. I prefer gnome or LXDE for a desktop, but many people love KDE or Xfce, it is a personal choice. Play around and have fun.
    Thank you, but my question is, like there is windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista and 7

Usually XP is considered best for D915Gav with 3.20 GHz and 512 MB RAM

What you say? And Please suggest me from RED HAT LINUX if you can.

Red Hat is a commercial enterprise distribution. You don't want it. Citing Windows versions is futile, Linux is not Windows. My suggestion is to get Linux Mint version 9 or 10. It's the closest to Windows in terms of look and feel, and the easiest to set up and use out of the box. Most Linux distros will have some compatibility issues with some hardware, as well as not working correctly with popular software like flash, etc. Mint should work on most modern computers, and everything should work without major configuration issues.

I have no clue what a "D915Gav" is, but I will bet that Mint will come closest to running on it without issues.

At distrowatch.com, the right hand column lists the 100 most popular distro's. In linux it is a matter of personal choice and taste as to which distro you use, just like in the windows world some people like word perfect, some microsoft word, etc. In linux the different distro's have made different decisions as to what is included, depending on their thoughts as to what was best. You need to try out different distro's and see which one suits your needs. Ubuntu and Mint are two of the more popular choices for newbies.

Just Joined!

Angry What to download ? i386? i686? x86?

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    At distrowatch.com, the right hand column lists the 100 most popular distro's. In linux it is a matter of personal choice and taste as to which distro you use, just like in the windows world some people like word perfect, some microsoft word, etc. In linux the different distro's have made different decisions as to what is included, depending on their thoughts as to what was best. You need to try out different distro's and see which one suits your needs. Ubuntu and Mint are two of the more popular choices for newbies.
    Looks like I am alien here.

OK... now what is i386? i686?

Tell me what will you do if you had Intel D915gav Board, with 3.20GHz Processor and 512MB of RAM?

I don't know why people give long lectures, probably the answer is in one line.

One line answer. Mint LXDE.

i386 means it will run on anything back to an Intel 386 processor. i686 means it will only run on a processor equivalent to an Intel 686 or newer. Unless you have a very old computer, don't worry about it.

Giving you a one-line answer is doing you a disservice, but if you insist on it, here it is.

Standard Mint.

Now I'm done with this thread.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mirzausman View Post
    Looks like I am alien here.

OK... now what is i386? i686?

Tell me what will you do if you had Intel D915gav Board, with 3.20GHz Processor and 512MB of RAM?

I don't know why people give long lectures, probably the answer is in one line.
    I'm an alien too..Can't understand one sentence..Just need Linux for my root for my web site..It uses Centos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast