Find the answer to your Linux question:
Always on the lookout for good search engines, here's a new one that I ran across earlier today for anyone that might want to try it: normal searches: blekko | ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

new search engine

Always on the lookout for good search engines, here's a new one that I ran across earlier today for anyone that might want to try it:

normal searches: blekko | slashtag search

secure searches: https://blekko.com/

So far, it appears to give good search results and it seems fast enough.
    oz

Thaks for the update, ozar -- I'm always looking for alternative search engines.
    Go Ducks !

Linux Newbie
    In no way do I want this to sound pessimistic, but what reason (besides preventing monopoly) would one have for switching search engines?

I gave Bing a shot, and find it is really good for finding Microsoft's stuff (seriously, information on Xbox games and such is much easier to find through it). There have been a couple of "rewards" or "good for the environment" sites that I've heard of and tried out. But in the end, Google sticks in my mind most and hasn't really ever let me down.

Again, I'm not trying to promote Google or demote others, but I would really like to know what would encourage anyone to use another.

That said, I'm looking at this Blekko and I do like the "slash in" feature. At first, I thought it wasn't much more than modifiers in Google but it is (at least) more convenient than that. I may come back to this, especially for school-related matters where I need certain topics in certain fields.

One that you might want to try is called Everyclick. You can link to it from many charity websites. Once you have made the link, every search you do generates some money for your chosen charity.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

[QUOTE=ryokimball;818347]In no way do I want this to sound pessimistic, but what reason (besides preventing monopoly) would one have for switching search engines?

Well, there are reasons not to use Google. Aside from privacy issues there this.
    Google ramps up anti-piracy measures | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    In no way do I want this to sound pessimistic, but what reason (besides preventing monopoly) would one have for switching search engines? . . .
    For the same reason(s) one should not use AIM, Yahoo, hotmail, Facebook, telnet . . .