Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I am new to linux world, and I hope to help me in 3 things to start. 1- What is the light weight and fastest distribution which can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Light fastest linux request!

Dear all,
    I am new to linux world, and I hope to help me in 3 things to start.
    1- What is the light weight and fastest distribution which can run with the lowest resources consumption?
    2- Does linux supports adobe flash player latest version?
    3- Can I run DirectX based games on linux?
    Thx in advanced.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Take your pick.
    2. Yes
    3. Sometimes, but not so well. Linux != Windows
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    1: For the best speed, you really aught to build it yourself. Custom compiling and such allows you to mold the OS to your hardware. This is quite an undertaking for someone new to Linux, but there's no better time to learn than now if you have the time and patience
    Otherwise, Gentoo is almost a built-from-scratch system, and Arch Linux (my go-to) is pretty minimalistic without the compile-time needed. There are probably other options that better suite you as well.
    2: same as Rubberman (yes)
    3: (expanding on Rubberman's comment) Many people, myself included, dual-boot for the sake of gaming. I have Windows XP on a 15GB partition of my netbook just for playing Morrowind. Also, there's the Wine project that allows many Windows applications to run natively in Linux. (Morrowind also works with it; I have personal reasons for preferring the dual-boot.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    1: For the best speed, you really aught to build it yourself. Custom compiling and such allows you to mold the OS to your hardware. This is quite an undertaking for someone new to Linux, but there's no better time to learn than now if you have the time and patience
    Otherwise, Gentoo is almost a built-from-scratch system, and Arch Linux (my go-to) is pretty minimalistic without the compile-time needed. There are probably other options that better suite you as well.
    2: same as Rubberman (yes)
    3: (expanding on Rubberman's comment) Many people, myself included, dual-boot for the sake of gaming. I have Windows XP on a 15GB partition of my netbook just for playing Morrowind. Also, there's the Wine project that allows many Windows applications to run natively in Linux. (Morrowind also works with it; I have personal reasons for preferring the dual-boot.)
    I cut my Linux teeth on Gentoo. It took me a week of evenings before I got my system configured and running more or less how I wanted. It was a project! However, I learned a lot about the system, not to mention my specific hardware after sifting through all the documentation for the hardware. Indeed, it allows you to configure the system to your exact hardware, so there is no extraneous cruft hanging around to cause problems. That's what I liked most about it! Good post Ryo!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

The lightest and fastest Linux that I've used was CRUX, or at least it felt that way at the time. That said, they should all run at about the same speed if they are configured identically.

Yes, Flash should work on CRUX and other distributions.

DirectX products? I'd recommend running those on Windows.

Best of luck to you whatever route you should choose.
    oz