Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got a chance to check out Gnome-Shell and....well, I'm not sure what I think. Then I try to install Unity on Ubuntu 10.04 and it fails on at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome 2 vs. Gnome-Shell vs. Unity

I finally got a chance to check out Gnome-Shell and....well, I'm not sure what I think. Then I try to install Unity on Ubuntu 10.04 and it fails on at least one machine. I think I've used Unity in the netbook remix for 10.04 (correct me if I'm wrong). What is everyone's opinion about the changes that are coming to Ubuntu/Gnome/Compiz/Etc...
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I think you are one of the first to tinker with it....that's why no one is offfering an opinion yet.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

haha go figure....I always had it in my mind that everyone tries pre-alpha releases Maybe this will inspire people to take a look
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I think you are one of the first to tinker with it....that's why no one is offfering an opinion yet.

I used an early verion of Gnome Shell on openSUSE and wasn't hugely impressed and have tried Unity on a netbook and a laptop. Suffice it to say, I am running XFCE on both those boxes now
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    I know nothing much about Unity or Gnome Shell, but have been wondering if there will be confusion among Linux users between Unity Linux and Ubuntu's Unity:

Unity Linux

Unity | Unity

Somehow, the names seem rather similar, but I'm not even sure which one came first, or if it really matters.
    oz