Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This article is old (Posted: 02/22/2009), but many of his arguments are, unfortunately, still valid -- would you not say? 1 Way That Linux is an Epic Fail Does this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is ubuntu giving Linux a bad name?

This article is old (Posted: 02/22/2009), but many of his arguments are, unfortunately, still valid -- would you not say?

1 Way That Linux is an Epic Fail

Does this poster's comment still apply, IYHO?

It isn't ATI or NVidia's fault . . . "It's actually the fault of the Ubuntu developers, they are incompetent."

Noob frustration easily leads to this (is it represetational?) comment --

"So no more linux experimentation for me - I'll stick with windows and be very happy thanks."

Hmmmmm -- I wonder. Comments, please.

Linux Guru
    Not much new here. Someone who couldn't configure his own computer blaming the operating system. And he's in IT? The only thing that I'm surprised at is his slur to people who are not native English speakers.

I don't particularly believe Linux will be competing with Windows any time in the near future in regard to home computers. Windows is easier to use because it is more available, because it is a monopoly and has been for years and uses its position as a monopoly to force vendors and competitors to comply with their wishes.

And why would one not expect an OS which sells for a $179USD and up to work better than one which is free. That's the capitalist mantra "you get what you pay for" so why complain when your theory is supported? If one goes to windows forums, you will see a lot of complaints about things which do not work on windows, major problems repeatedly and you've ?$ paid for it?

I'm thankful for all the developers who work on Linux but I doubt it will achieve Desktop superiority and I don't really care. People who use Linux I think, are people who are more inclined to do things for themselves rather than hire someone to do it. Most people see computers like Televisions, just something they can use for entertainment or other purposes and don't care about its inner workings and there is no reason they should.

Ubuntu - the "It Just Works" Linux. That is the Linux I've been working with the most - for several months now.
    That says it all. You have been using one system for fifteen years,
    and are probably proficient at it. You won't become an expert at
    a different system in a few months time.

It is a well known fact that "power users" are the ones who
    easily get frustrated, and refuse to invest the effort to learn
    Linux. They already have fifteen years invested in Windows
    and hate feeling like a newbie all over again.

Give Ubuntu to a child or an old person with no experience
    with computers and they thrive. "Power users" want to "hit the ground
    running" and they fall on their faces. Naturally they blame the OS.

Just Joined!
    Hi!

I've been using linux only for a while, so I don't know how valuable my opinion might be... but IMHO, Ubuntu is pretty awesome.

apt-get is unbeliavable, no libraries or anything like that to worry about... And updating between versions is as easy as it gets.

Windows can't possible compete against Ubuntu

Cheers,
    Droope

yancek, Linux Engineer, wrote:

"Most people see computers like Televisions, just something they can use for entertainment or other purposes and don't care about its inner workings and there is no reason they should."

rcgreen, Linux Engineer, wrote:

"Give Ubuntu to a child or an old person with no experience
    with computers and they thrive. "Power users" want to "hit the ground
    running" and they fall on their faces. Naturally they blame the OS."

And we all appreciate you enthusiasm, droope!

It is good to hear your sincere and levelheaded replies. Oftentimes we forget such simple facts regarding human nature and the consumer mentality of so many within our own country and the world. It behooves us to be cognizant of these facts and not to allow the emotional reactionism inherent in all of us to overpower reason and sound thinking. (Where are the Bertrand Russells of today? The world is poorer for such a dearth!)

In attempting to raise awareness of Linux, I have begun with the younger ones all too often to find resistance from the parents! Rather than thank me for giving their child what they, perhaps, mistakenly thought would be too expensive a tool, some parents condemn the OS because it is different than what they expected, in their preconceived notion of what is a PC.

Thank you, gentlemen. Continue, if you please . . .

Just Joined!
    Windows is perfect, the only problem is that people use it.
    Microsoft or System builders will help you fix it.

In Ubuntu, you have to read and do it yourself.
    So people will either run to Windows or learn Linux.

Is Ubuntu giving Linux a bad name? No.

If you want easy, go to the store and buy a new computer or hire someone to fix it.
    If you are support, there are lots of the previous mention people. So you can stay in your box.

I choose Debian for a file server because it is easier than sharing folders
    on multiple windows systems.

After 5 years and 3 server builds later, easy. No
    Fun. Yes

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Windows is perfect, the only problem is that people use it.
    So true! I have been computing for over 40 years and I have NEVER liked DOS or Windows! I have used them ONLY when I had to. In fact, in 1982 when I was a sales rep at ComputerLand in the heart of the Silicon Valley, and the IBM PC first came out, I was blessed when the president of Qunix (now QNX - a division of RIM) came by to show his new OS for the PC. After some evaluation, I glom'd on that and never looked back! It was a BIG seller to my clients - the USGS, Ford Aerospace, NASA, Stanford Research Institute, et al because it had the first REAL C compiler for the PC! Not to mention multi-tasking, easy hardware driver development, etc. FWIW, I sold 3Com their first 100 IBM PC's... When I first started using PC's, DOS only had single-sided floppy support. QNX had double-sided AND hard drive support. DOS was single-threaded. QNX was multi-threaded. The ONLY reason I know why DOS/Microsoft succeeded so well was that IBM gave DOS away for free with the PC. Other operating systems such as CPM/86, UCSD-P systems, or QNX were sold at a not-inconsiderable amount of $$. And DO NOT get me started on how MS got the rights to Seattle Computer Products' QDOS (the source of MS-DOS) for a mere $50,000 USD! And then screwed them out of their due...

OK. I've been ranting! Sorry about that! Some things just get me riled...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I also come from Windows but was quickly intrigued by Linux. It is so open and you can easily change everything. And you can understand the internals. That's very hard on closed source operating systems.
    However, I don't like Ubuntu either. I've used it for a longer time but then decided to switch to other distros. I don't like the "It just works" aspect, which in fact means: "It just works as long as you don't touch anything". I also don't always need the hottest unstable stuff. No need for MacOS X on Linux. I don't understand why the Ubuntu guys reinvent the wheel every 6 months. But that's kind of religious war. Nonetheless, Linux in general is absolutely great, I don't want to miss it.
    Refining Linux Advent calendar: 24 Outstanding ZSH Gems

I don't think it's giving Linux a bad name but for people transferring over from Windows it does create a "perception" of Linux. I think the users perception will be a little biased towards Linux in general but I don't think it's a bad thing. There are versions of Windows that are not as good as others, same for Linux.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Oh yeah, these rants find their way to the internet from time to time. Some highly skilled IT professional tries to dabble in Linux and fails... so it's Linux' fault. The opposite is also true. Imagine being a Slacker for years and having to diagnose a Vista networking problem (for extra bonus: don't use the command line).

Really, his main points were that he had to do some stuff and edit a file. As if he'd never had to use regedit.exe or wade through the mixture of <xml>, flat text and MM oh oops binary configuration files in his Windows profile

But that aside. I could write pages about how wrong he is, but I'd just sound childish. It's clear he didn't understand Linux, and he's tried just one flavour. Just ignore him

So, if you all could excuse me for my pidgin dunglish... sorry. I'm not a native speaker.

Oh, and "then let them eat cake" does not mean what the guy thinks it means. Ironically, it reads as a big compliment.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast