Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
on the topic of emulation, i used to do that a lot in windows. when i wnt to linux a lot of my emulators were ported to it but i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

on the topic of emulation, i used to do that a lot in windows. when i wnt to linux a lot of my emulators were ported to it but i couldnt get them to work! i think it has something to do with the fact im using fedora core 2 and there are files renamed or something. realy though the only thing linux should be working on now is making it a little easier for new people to configure and install things. thats where all the bad talk about linux comes from, well, that and the lack of games. other than that the avarage user would feel at home with linux. only advanced users would find a problem whith lack of dreamweaver and premere equivelents.

personaly i'd like to see the makers of the gimp make these programs. then it could be like a suit or something.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    For imaging use the GIMP, for website creation, just learn HTML... I'm 14 and and have made some pretty ruley websites with just the GIMP and KWrite haha... old school website creation...

Linux Enthusiast
    I consider MPlayer a killer app as well, even if it is for windows and linux. It's far more powerful than any player i've seen on windows except maybe Media Player Classic, which is also open source.
    Also, I've noticed CDs burn much faster on Linux than windows, which also says something to general users.
    Apps are often easier to install on Linux if they're in a package manager like emerge (gentoo) yum, apt, etc. Package managers also make updating cake.

Just Joined!
    i think linux really needs is friendly environment thats all...easy installer...easy to use...if thats happen ..linux take over the world

Quote Originally Posted by edf825
    For imaging use the GIMP, for website creation, just learn HTML... I'm 14 and and have made some pretty ruley websites with just the GIMP and KWrite haha... old school website creation...
    I agree. As for video editing, there is something called cinerela. Also kino. I don't have any experience with these programs, but I know that they are out there. I do not think that there is a 'killer app' in windows, in my opinion, linux is a 'killer os'. It is more a matter of people being used to various windows programs, and the windows way of thinking ("let's walk into a store and see what programs I need").
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by xzworks
    i think linux really needs is friendly environment thats all...easy installer...easy to use...if thats happen ..linux take over the world
    There are linux distros with friendlier environments and installers than anything windows could come up with. Mepis, for instance. Or Suse, or...
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    A cool new program which is linux only i think is being able to use gmailFS which allows you to use your 2Gb email space as remote file system storage

one day people will realize microsoft sux and that theyve wasted their lives committed to a lie of a better operating system..what will all us linux users do? laugh.we saw the truth but waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    A cool new program which is linux only i think is being able to use gmailFS which allows you to use your 2Gb email space as remote file system storage
    i've heard of this, it is not new or linux-only. I can't remember the name, but I first heard of it when Gmail still had 'only' 1 Gb.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I do an extreme amount of graphics and HTML coding, for web site design I use Netscape 7.2 Composer, so far its just about the most efficient and easy web page editor I've used, it lets you switch between WYSIWYG and source by clicking the tabs, it also has shortcuts for adding images and links, as well as its own FTP program, it only uses a few megs of memory and very little processor power. For graphics, I use the good old GIMP. Both natively run on Linux and BSD. My websites are pretty nice (Have a look if you want), so I guess Linux does a good job on that sort of thing, Melinda even made a little button proclaiming our site's Linuxness. (Carmen Sandiego is like a female Shadow Man I guess)

When I first switched to 'nixes, I actually had a list of Windows programs I thought I would miss, Nero, Realtek AV Rack, Quicktime, etc.. I've long since replaced them with far superior programs like KIIIB and XINE. And honestly I can't really imagine some one spending more than the cost of an operating system on a blasted photo editor.

(BTW, Command line emulators can be a pain, but you can create symlinks to the applications with whatever options you want by right clicking, selecting "Create New File", then "Link to Application" in KDE. To run an application you would make the link "/home/fox/./emulatorname filename.rom", changing "/home/fox" to wherever you put the emulator and the file of course.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast