Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Neutrino A cool new program which is linux only i think is being able to use gmailFS which allows you to use your 2Gb email space as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    A cool new program which is linux only i think is being able to use gmailFS which allows you to use your 2Gb email space as remote file system storage
    This works in windows also
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Linux User
    Something on the same page as GmailFS which doesn't work in Windows (maybe there's a hackish solution) which is on it's way to Linux is the ability to mount an FTP like NFS.

I forgot where I heard about it, though, has anyone else come across this?

Really, I don't think GNU needs a killer app, the killer feature is it's versatility. I'd love to see you configure a diskless windows rig. (Ok, it's been awhile since I used Windows, if that's possible excuse my ignorance)
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    No video editing programs for linux? Why, my friends... there is CHAINSAW LINUX... a distro geared towards the editing of video. I have never touched it in that I am not a video boy... so I can't verify how marvelous it is. Just giving my fingers a workout.

Just Joined!
    Most average home users don't make the switch to linux as they are scared of formatting and reinstalling. My dad (uses computers regulalrly, not a pc geek but knows more than average ppl) wanted to set up two machines we had lying around for my sisters and he didn't want to format them becauseiva LE he didn't know how. In the end I just sat down one evening and installed windows XP on both, formatting and everything (couldn't use linux - sisters can barely use windows and they would just get confused if they used win xp at school nd linux at home).

To make linux a success there needs to be people offering to install everything for them. How about LUGs start offering it as a service. Ubuntu is easy to use as a general distro, can easily be configured and set up, no major reliance on the CLI and is quick to install. The install program may not be the prettiest in the world but does it matter? Its still fully functional and quicker than all the other install programs I have used recently.

Edit: If anybody is in wiltshire and wants ubuntu/mandriva LE installed on a computer they have email me and I will try and do it. If you want another distro speak to me anyway and we may be able to sort something out.

Just Joined!
    the only problem with that is that the general public dont know what a LUG is or how to contact one. There need to be more high street shops that offer linux as an operating system on pre built and custom built machines not shops like walmart though a proper pc world type place that sells pre built linux boxes and all linux compatible hardware plus if they had demo machines like madriva, suse and redhat and then the odd machine showing things like linux bios and other linux projects people may start to take notice of them especially if they can play and use them in the shop at least they could work out which version they like and ask questions. Id do this myself and would really like too but im on a uni course and dont have time to start an empire yet haha

Just Joined!
    hmmm... and the wheels start whirring...

im still stuck back in sixth form at the moment so I cant do anything either...yet but if people want linux installing on a computer the have lying around and they can get to me then please contact me and I'll try me hardest to get it set up how u want. Maybe if more people started offering this in various places (forums, at uni, etc) then linux may spread just a little further.

I think that younger people (at school/uni) are more likely to experiment with linux and stuff as older people seem to be less willing to give it a go. Not saying older people wont, just that its less likely so passing the word around at uni may be a good place to start.

only if u have enuff time of course...

Just Joined!
    i have way too much time as i cant be assed with my ccourse its slowing me down and i would have learnt more by reading a book or doing the part time IBM and part time portsmouth course which is the way formward.

As soon as i have enough money though i would like to start a linux shop in bristol and LUG could come along play help setup and teach or show customers how and what they can do with a linux machine. I think that its the only way as well as getting schools to start using linux that is going to help make an impact cant remember the linux for schools distro name but it looks pretty decent and as they are not going to need powerful machines i think most primary schools still dont have normal pcs or at least not many they could use any old hardware even old donated stuff especially when its going to be for word processing or internet access

Just Joined!
    sweet idea, i like it

Just Joined!
    i know exactly what it would look like layout and everything i just need loads of money and somewhere to do it. of course it will more than likely be a shop on the internet first and then get a place but either way just a few things slowing me down this bloody degree, no money and no shop haha

Linux User
    I'd be willing to do the same in the Tucson area. Actually I live in Green Valley, but I'd be willing to go up to Tucson, down to Nogales, or out to Sonoita or Bisbee if someone can get me there (I'm on a bicycle).

One restriction, I'm perfectly willing to do this for free at a residence, or a small family business if I feel good about it (that means you, Bisbee B&B's!) For any corporate type environment, though, I'd have to charge a small fee, not that it's likely to happen.

I can install pretty much any user friendly distro you want, or Arch or Debian if you're nice.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3