Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Why o why someone does not create a dreamweaver & photoshop clone I dont know, its always these two programs that people miss and another one big reason why people ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux only needs a couple of killer apps thats all!!

Why o why someone does not create a dreamweaver & photoshop clone I dont know, its always these two programs that people miss and another one big reason why people cannot switch over from Windows. I perosnally dont want to work in Windows anymore but I am still forced too, every time I boot Linux I experience a stable, virus free system and I dont get any of MS bulls**t either which is really good.

I have tried Dreamweaver & Photoshop with Crossover and they are still not running the same as it would in Windows, however to get these programs running in Linux itself is a bloody miracle and complete respect goes to all the programmers.

If your business you dont have time to hand code, you need something quick to work with.

Just Joined!
    Why dont u try GIMP. Its has good if not better image manipuating capabilities.
    As for web page editing, try Quanta or something similar.
    If you google it a bit u will find some appication that suits you. And learning a new app wont take much time. Small hindrance but better than going back 2 windoze.

Linux Engineer
    **Moved to Coffee Lounge
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

ya, gimp replaces photoshop on a linux box. what i dont see yet is a good video editor. atleast i dont hear of one. i have a friend whos in collage and has recently been exploring with linux a bit and is considering building a beyawolf (i dont realy know how its spelled but thats how it sounded) cluster. i asked if he is going to put linux on there expecting an obvius yes but he said windows server 2004 because he needs to be able to do premere. i think its stupid that the only thing keeping many people from making the switch is a single program.

anyway, ya if they can make a photoshop work on both windows and mac, why cant they just throw in linux? its actualy quite insulting realy. its like saying that we dont exist or are unimportant. and games, most comercial games and programs dont have a linux port. i see a lot of online freeware have linux ports. at least the major ones do, for instance TeamSpeak has lin/win servers and clients where as roger wilco only has windows. as far as i know teamspeak has a better user base.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    ya i wish that there was a good movie editor.
    but if you have checked the compition ... linux isn't far behind.
    my experiance with adobe priemere (5 and 6.5) is that it is only useful for pasting clips togeher and useing transitions (i could probably get OO's impress to do i would just have to transfer it to analog then to digital if i wanted a video extention). sure it has more features like chromo keying but you have to wait for a long time to let it render it (then it probably did it wrong (i haven't got chromo keying to ever work right, only once i got it 90% right). so really all most people would want is a program that strings video clips together and splits them up acurately. i don't know but i think linux has something like this already (if it doesn't im stuned)

wel going with the topic name, if linux could get something that no one else could ever touch, then it would be seen as a super power. however it would have to be something usefull, powerfull, and grab the attention of all those stupid little kids strung across the internet ammazed by all those retarded flash games. sorry, guess i got a little carried away. but still, some sort of program that can do things that windows cant. and do it with an easy interface.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Dreamweaver is what makes me go back to windows everytime I switch. I just cant develop as well without it. Quanta is ok but you need to have a seperate ftp client open and keep switching its just not the same anyway

Linux Newbie
    i think linux programs are great. there really isn't anything i can think up that would but it over the top of the the other os's because in my mind it's all ready there.

but my idea of something that linux could do to bring m$ to its knees would be somthing like multiple network/processor shareing. imagine you have dsl and so does your nieghbor. he uses his internet mostly in afternoon and you want to download some linux iso's in the night (or day i guess) with regular dsl it could take a while (maybe 4 days, if you'll downloading 8 cds to try the biggest distros) but that time would be cut in half if you bought 2 wireless hubs set the networks to share their internet. (you can even download faster than the sever goes by grabing portions of files from seperate severs). or imagine you have youre pentium 2 350-mhz collecting dust in the corner. your wallet invested in that machine and 5 years later it's just takeing floor space. what if you could put in a closet, run power and lan to it, and use it to speed up your programs (by sharing memory, doing calculations etc) in fact this method has been done before but if the common linux could be set up to do it then wow.

anyway thats my 2 cents

Just Joined!
    they did make some killer apps....its called apache..thats what really helped linux take off..............
    to really kill microsoft you have to hit um where it hurts..IE in the server market thats whre they really make thier money...but MySQL Postsqlre or how ever u spell it are killers along with php is hopefully going to take over.......i think the apps are out there its just a matter of time for people to get trained in these programs

Just Joined!
    The lack of a few key apps is what keeps me from running linux full time. Dreamweaver is one of them. Are there even any WYSIWYG webdesign programs for linux? I thought Bluefish was, but I can't figure out how to see anything other than code. It's not a huge deal though, since Dreamweaver MX 2004 is a pile of garbage and messes up my pages unless I do the code by hand anyways.

The other key factor is games. As lame as it sounds emulation is a big part for me. I haven't been comfortable with any emulators (NES, SNES, etc...) in linux. Again though, not a huge deal because I own the systems I emulate anyways, it's just nice to not have to mess with all the cables when I want to play a system that isn't hooked up currently. As far as PC games go I really don't play too many, but there are those few must haves that I gotta play.

I can't think of anything else right now...

For the Photoshop users, definately check out GIMP. It took me a long time to familiarize myself with Photoshop, but GIMP makes it much much easier, and is just as (if not more) powerful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast