Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I got a cold call from them today "about my computer". A woman, Indian accent, and a very unprofessional amount of noise going on in the background. I was instantly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Has anyone heard of a company called Quick Resolve?

I got a cold call from them today "about my computer". A woman, Indian accent, and a very unprofessional amount of noise going on in the background. I was instantly suspicious because I know there are companies who ring up and offer to fix your computer (which they have discovered has viruses in it) over the internet, and if you give them access, they install malware. So I told her the polite equivalent of p*** off and hung up.

After that I googled and found that they have a website which looks like a pukka company site. Is it a scam or am I getting paranoid?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    That sounds like it might be related to this scam that's been going on for a while:

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian
    oz

Hold On! So I'm now not ashamed to say I too had my share of incidents of getting these fake calls a few times.
    This pisses me off as a part of a developing country , and ozar you are right, it's the same scam you pointed out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hazel, you're not paranoid if someone really is trying to get you. Sounds like you played it smart and avoided a problem. Atta girl.
    Registered Linux user #526930

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
    This pisses me off as a part of a developing country , and ozar you are right, it's the same scam you pointed out.
    I wouldn't allow myself to feel angered over it because it seems that pretty much every country has scammers hard at work, doing their best to get into your wallet, your computer, or both.
    oz

Off with their heads!!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Cousin Lucky, how barbaric to cut off their heads. Aim lower.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I got a cold call from them today "about my computer". A woman, Indian accent, and a very unprofessional amount of noise going on in the background. I was instantly suspicious because I know there are companies who ring up and offer to fix your computer (which they have discovered has viruses in it) over the internet, and if you give them access, they install malware. So I told her the polite equivalent of p*** off and hung up.

After that I googled and found that they have a website which looks like a pukka company site. Is it a scam or am I getting paranoid?
    It's a scam and it's also an opportunity for fun.

Play along but be the nightmare person, when they say right click on my computer, tell them you can't see their computer. Try to play along with their instructions and listen to them getting more and more frustrated as nothing works.

Try and string them along for as much time as possible, my record is nearly half an hour and then innocently say.... "Oooh could it not be working because I'm running Linux?"

Everybody needs a hobby
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Elija, you're wicked! But I'm glad my instincts didn't play me false.

Ozar's link is pretty close to what I heard except that my caller didn't actually claim to be associated with Microsoft. If she had, I would have taken great pleasure in telling her that I know better than to go on the Internet using a Microsoft OS. Whether she would have understood is another matter; her English wasn't very good.

The noise in the background was almost certainly a score of other telephonists giving the same spiel to other potential victims.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

It appears you are not alone
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast