Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I'm new to the whole linux thing, my friend just installed ubuntu 10.4 onto my hard drive. now I'm not all that great with computers at the moment but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with understanding

hello, I'm new to the whole linux thing, my friend just installed ubuntu 10.4 onto my hard drive. now I'm not all that great with computers at the moment but I'm trying to learn more. he installed a fire wall to use only two ports to be used. Iíve heard of linux before, but never knew anyone that knew how it worked or anything. i hate windows... freaking HATE them. so he told me about it and i agreed for him to reformat my computer to linux ubuntu.

anyway, what are the things i can do on linux? he said its open source so you can do anything but i don't really know what that means. theres things i want my computer to do but he said he doesn't know the codes for them.

i know i haven't asked any questions, so here we go.

what are the things i can do with my computer. my biggest problem is the mouse, i have an HP laptop, the mouse is very ****** and since Iím in Afghanistan on deployment, i don't have the space to use a mouse, is there a way to make the mouse better using codes?

when i exit out of a window is there a way to make the screen explode or crack and fall off the screen?

what are programs that are basics for having linux/ubuntu?

any and all help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Just Joined!
    Welcome to a new world! With a little experience you'll find that the new world isn't that much different than the old one, or at least your abilities and computing experience won't seem so different.

Your main question is confusing, so there are many answers possible, none of which may be what you're looking for. What's "******" about your mouse? How could it be better? There may be settings in the operating system (OS) to help with your mouse problems, but we need to know what's bad about it. Does it jerk, move too fast/slow, is it hard to see the cursor . . . . ? Give details.

As for what you can do on Linux, you can do the sames things you've done in other OSs. The one limitation that seems to disappoint most often is the availability of Windows applications, especially games. There's a Windows emulation environment for Linux called Wine, but I recommend you learn to live without it, but that's my prejudice. Other than games, there are Linux equivalents for most every program you used to use on Windows: several internet browsers, email programs, video/audio players, etc. More than one option for each may already be installed on your computer, so let us know what you'd like to do, and we can tell you how to do it.

Explore the Ubuntu start menu (I forget what it's called, but it looks similar to the Windows "Start" menu). Go ahead and run programs that are already installed to see what they do. You shouldn't be worried about breaking anything.

You ask about special graphical effects for the user interface. Yes, you can do what you ask, probably. I'm not so big on the Linux bling, so others will have to give you details here. Many Linux installations require minor tweaking to enable some features or enhance the user's experience.

Basic or essential programs? There are many versions available for most essential programs. Tell us what you need to do with your computer, and we'll tell you how. Firefox should already be installed for internet browsing (I think). After that, the programs you already have installed will vary based on the distribution (meaning Ubuntu) and the desktop environment being used.

So, give us a little more info, mostly what you need to do and then would LIKE to do with your computer, and you'll get plenty of help.

Be safe!

2 BTWs - (1) You don't have to be a Windows hater to be a Linux lover or to be accepted by the mainstream Linux community. Claiming dislike for Windows may be fashionable in some Linux circles, but I recommend staying neutral and wary of the politically motivated. For the most part, the Linux community is incredibly open to the concept of using the best tool for the job. (2) This forum is great, but the traffic is relatively low and it tries to cover all things Linux. It does what it does very well, and the users are loyal, friendly, and helpful. There are many other resources to help new Ubuntu users. Ubuntu is probably the most widely used Linux distribution, and it has a very active forum, online documentation, and many spin-off web sites, all easily found by Googling Ubuntu topics.
    Last edited by GregBrannon; 12-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Indeed welcome to a new world.

What can you do with your computer? I think there will be a program to handle near enough anything you want to do. You will find a lot of the "essentials" already installed; Office software, internet software, multimedia, graphics and so on. Ubuntu chooses a fairly sane set of default software.

The thing that most people find strange when moving to Linux is installing new software. Typically, they are used to finding it on the Internet, downloading it and then running an installer. Usually you will not need to do this with Linux. In Ubuntu, there is the "Ubuntu software center" which is where you can download and automatically install the software you need. If you want finer control, you can use the Synaptic package manager or even the command line. Whichever you prefer, it's cool

Whether you can use the funky effects depends on your graphics card and which drivers you have installed. You can see if you need any proprietary drivers by going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. Simply enabling any you need will download and install them. You can then go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and click the Visual Effects Tab. Try ramping them up to extra. If your computer handles that, then you can install the compiz settings manager to get fine grained control.

I'm afraid that without more information, we can't be to helpful with your mouse
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    thank you for the help. I really appreciate it!

well with my mouse (before i loaded linux) i'd have to click about 4 or 5 times to get just an acknolagement from the computer that i clicked on something, not even opening it. but when i went into "preferances" and used the double click test, it would work perfectly fine. i had a few friends look at it and they didn't understand it what so ever. They are pretty good with windows and software because thats basically part of their job being a data Marine. anyway, even double clicking on the mouse pad was messed up. but since i got Ubuntu, the mose pad clicking has been fix, and works like a charm, but the button not as much, it acknolages when i click but have to lick a few more times to get it to open. I've tried to explain this the best i can?

last night when i got to my tent i ran into a problem (i'll do some research but just brining it up) no sound what so ever, i looked at all the settings and everything i could find on the basic set up and everything was turned up all the way but no sound was comming from my speakers or my headphones. so i put my computer in mute, took it off, didn't work, put VLC into mute, didn't work, restarted didn't work. but i'll look up on google, and other sources. i know this is to be expected for Linux getting started.

BTW i have an HP g62 laptop. has an intel i3 processer, not sure about grafics card. im not really into gaming because i get too addicted and into it, so i try and stay away from them.

as far as what i'll be using my computer for. i'll be learning the whole basic linux consept. once i get out into the civilian world, i plan on becoming a network engineer, and most companies requre Linux knowlage, i understand that most comanies don't use Ubuntu, but since my friend told me this is most widely used (also mentioned above) i figured i'd start here.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for serving in the military. A good place to seek linux answers is <Linux> - Google Search. If you become interested in other linux distro's, go to distrowatch.com, to see hundreds of available linux distro's. As to your mouse problem, sounds like a hardware problem. Can you try a friends mouse to see if that works?
    In ubuntu, if you go to synaptic package manager, it will list categories of programs. Under each category will be many many choices, but open office for word processing, gimp for image editing, brasero for burning dvd/cd, and totem or VLC for playing movies, are the most widely used. Good luck, and stay safe.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo03 View Post
    thank you for the help. I really appreciate it!

well with my mouse (before i loaded linux) i'd have to click about 4 or 5 times to get just an acknolagement from the computer that i clicked on something, not even opening it. but when i went into "preferances" and used the double click test, it would work perfectly fine. i had a few friends look at it and they didn't understand it what so ever. They are pretty good with windows and software because thats basically part of their job being a data Marine. anyway, even double clicking on the mouse pad was messed up. but since i got Ubuntu, the mose pad clicking has been fix, and works like a charm, but the button not as much, it acknolages when i click but have to lick a few more times to get it to open. I've tried to explain this the best i can?

last night when i got to my tent i ran into a problem (i'll do some research but just brining it up) no sound what so ever, i looked at all the settings and everything i could find on the basic set up and everything was turned up all the way but no sound was comming from my speakers or my headphones. so i put my computer in mute, took it off, didn't work, put VLC into mute, didn't work, restarted didn't work. but i'll look up on google, and other sources. i know this is to be expected for Linux getting started.

BTW i have an HP g62 laptop. has an intel i3 processer, not sure about grafics card. im not really into gaming because i get too addicted and into it, so i try and stay away from them.

as far as what i'll be using my computer for. i'll be learning the whole basic linux consept. once i get out into the civilian world, i plan on becoming a network engineer, and most companies requre Linux knowlage, i understand that most comanies don't use Ubuntu, but since my friend told me this is most widely used (also mentioned above) i figured i'd start here.
    First off, again welcome to Linux. You might find some useful information (at least in getting started) at the ubuntu-manual project's website @ ubuntu-manual.org (I don't have enough posts to be able to create a link, so you'll have to copy and paste that in your browser or type it in).

As for the sound, try this. Click on System > Preferences > Sound. In the window that opens, make sure that Hardware is set to Internal, Input is set to Internal Audio Analong System (or whatever the internal is called), Output is set to Internal Audio Analog Stereo (or whatever the internal is called). Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Have a great day
    Patrick.