Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
why would you assume that? vim is a text editor, not an administration tool, it's not like it partitions your hard drive or anything. Also why are you assuming that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

why would you assume that? vim is a text editor, not an administration tool, it's not like it partitions your hard drive or anything. Also why are you assuming that I am installing it? Often times I sit down at someone else's Ubuntu machine, and see they don't have vim installed. This might not seem like much, but when you consider the fact that there are at least like 20 other programs that should be on there that isn't, it starts to get pretty annoying.

I agree. I absolutely hate it when I use another persons computer, and find that my preferred applications are absent.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I've been messing with computers since about 1985, and have never used vim, not once. I've installed a lot of Linux distros, and never once have I cared at all about whether vim was installed, or even checked to see. If you prefer vim, then install it, but I don't think most people care which text editor is on the system, as long as there is one. You're projecting your own preferences on the rest of the world, and that isn't a profitable exercise. Distros have the software they have, so accept it and either install your own preferred software or go to another distro. It's not like there is a shortage of them.
    MASONTX and cynwulf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I've been messing with computers since about 1985, and have never used vim, not once. I've installed a lot of Linux distros, and never once have I cared at all about whether vim was installed, or even checked to see. If you prefer vim, then install it, but I don't think most people care which text editor is on the system, as long as there is one. You're projecting your own preferences on the rest of the world, and that isn't a profitable exercise. Distros have the software they have, so accept it and either install your own preferred software or go to another distro. It's not like there is a shortage of them.
    I can't believe I actually have to explain this.
    YES I understand that they have a right to make a distro that doesn't have vim, and yes I realize that the user has a right to not install it, but whoever said that I have to be happy about it? I'm not happy! I'M ANGRY!!! I have a right to be angry! If you ever tried vim, you would see it is a powerful tool.

If editing text were cutting down trees, then vim would be like a lightsaber, it lets you do it quickly. So of course using something else feels like trying to cut down a tree with a butter knife.

The fact that it isn't anyone's fault only makes me more angry! Anger doesn't just go away when it isn't logically needed!

Now can we all stop talking about vim, and get back to what this thread was supposed to be about? You know: reasons Ubuntu sucks?

If I ever upgrade my 10.04 LTS . I am going to backup /home and just go with a

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

And just install My preferred Desktops and Applications. I have some practice doing AntiX core Iso installs (which I prefer mostly lately). I prefer legacy grub instead of grub 2. Lighter weight Desktops than Unity or Gnome 3 or KDE.

It may take more time. But I'll end up with a Ubuntu I want instead of precanned edition. To each their own with the skillset they have at their disposal.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

rm-rf, I guess it depends on how you accent the question. I don't take this thread as meaning why ubuntu sucks, I take it as why use anything other than ubuntu.
    Registered Linux user #526930

which in the end is similiar (sort of) basically in the end your going to end up with a thread filled with specific reasons why Ubuntu isn't for everyone. Some people really really don't like Ubuntu, I am sort of one of them.

The only difference between bashing Ubuntu, and giving reasons why it is not for everyone is that one uses nicer language. However criticism is criticism, whether it is nice or not.

People that stick with Ubuntu do so because they like it. And it serves every purpose that they need as far as daily computing goes.
    Other people stick with Fedora for the same reason........
    And Arch, Slackware, Debian, Puppy, Zenwalk, Windows, Mac OSX.......
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by rm-rf View Post
    which in the end is similiar (sort of) basically in the end your going to end up with a thread filled with specific reasons why Ubuntu isn't for everyone.
    You'll end up with a list of reasons why people don't use Ubuntu which is not the same thing as a list of suckiness.

Anyway, here's my list.

Your hardware may not be up to the job of running Ubuntu after all, it's no light weight among distro's
    You may not like the direction you perceive* Canonical to be taking
    You may find that on your hardware, it's unstable.

And the biggies...

Curiosity; even if you like it you find yourself wondering what else is out there
    As a result of the above you find something you like better.

As for editors, I like vim but it is definitely out of sync with Ubuntu's target audience so I think removing it and replacing it with nano (?) was probably a sensible move on their part. I do prefer nano to vim but have recently found joe and thus found a new favourite terminal editor.

* Yes perceive. If you don't work for Canonical at a decision making level, you don't know.
    Last edited by elija; 08-28-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

specific reasons why Ubuntu isn't for everyone.
    I can give specific reasons why Windows is perfect for some folks...

.......did I just say that..?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3