Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been working on C,C++,Java for 5-6 years on Windows and now I have started using Ubuntu 10.10 x64. I would like to know books or links for Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Books for Linux Programming?

I have been working on C,C++,Java for 5-6 years on Windows and now I have started using Ubuntu 10.10 x64.
    I would like to know books or links for Linux Programming, Shell Programming/ Scripting which suits my programming experience.
    How can I run C,C++,Java on Linux ie using which editors or IDEs.

Arpit

Linux Newbie
    Java will be the same. You can use netbeans, eclipse, etc for those the same as windows.

Generally speaking, C and C++ should be the same too, you just don't have the same MFCs, .net and such.

There are many IDE's you can choose from that will run on linux. A lot of people like anjuta. I use KDE and Kdevelop. Try a few out and see what suits you best.

As far as books go, there really isn't a need per se. If you are already a programmer, most of the info you need for linux programming is in man pages or located on the internet. There are many shell programming tutorials and reference pages depending on what language you are trying to use. Case in point, I threw a python script together the other day in about 30 minutes having never even seen python before.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the information

Can anyone else provide me some specific information about shell/kernel programming?

Arpit

Linux Newbie
    Here is a guide I like on bash.

tldp

Just Joined!
    Thanx agn
    Does anyone have the ebook or any download link or torrent file for Beginning Linux Programming, 4th Edition by Neil Matthew, Richard Stones from Wrox Press
    I have read very good reviews about this book but I am not getting it from anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by ArpitRaj View Post
    Thanx agn
    Does anyone have the ebook or any download link or torrent file for Beginning Linux Programming, 4th Edition by Neil Matthew, Richard Stones from Wrox Press
    I have read very good reviews about this book but I am not getting it from anywhere
    Why not try buying it?

Just Joined!
    My previous experience also was windows several years ago (then I found the right way )so you are like my previous state. If you want to code in the ide like MS VS, Netbeans and Eclipse are suggested ones in linux environment. But I prefer netbeans.

I followed this step to learn linux programming and its highly suggested. As far as books are concerned:
    First of all; read
    Understanding UNIX/LINUX Programming: A Guide to Theory and Practice by Bruce Molay
    wonderfull book.
    after reading molay's book, read:
    Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Second Edition (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) by W. Richard Stevens and Stephen A. Rago
    For general information of linux and bash scripting, read:
    Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, A (2nd Edition) by Mark G. Sobell

You can read molay's book and sobell's book in parallel. thats my style . so it worked.