Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie. So upon my welcome I read that I may want to introduce myself to the rest of the community in the Coffee Lounge, so I thought, "Why ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    bwz

I'm a newbie.

I'm a newbie.

So upon my welcome I read that I may want to introduce myself to the rest of the community in the Coffee Lounge, so I thought, "Why not?".

I discovered the existence of Linux only a few days ago. I downloaded Puppy Linux, burnt it to a CD, inserted the CD, booted to the CD, and there it was! I clicked here and there to have a quick look around and I felt at home. I then tried to connect to the net and it did it for me by prompting me exactly what to do next without any hassle - it took me a few seconds only.

So now I am curios about Linux.

Yes, Puppy is a nice distro to start with. Very novice-friendly and you can install it inside Windows while you're building up your confidence.

There's a huge amount of reading matter about Linux. Every command has a "man page" giving details of how to use it (though you'll probably want to work mainly on your graphical desktop to begin with rather than using commands). The Linux Documentation Project produces lots of guides and HOWTOs. If anything goes wrong, googling the error message is a good way to find out how to fix it.

Practically everything in Linux is fixable; you never need to reinstall. And if you show yourself willing to learn, you'll get a lot of help from this forum. Welcome to the free world!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Welcome to the forum, and to linux. 2 sites to put in your favorites are, distrowatch.com and <Linux> - Google Search. Distrowatch has literally hundreds of different linux distro's which you can read a brief synopsis of and download to try. They also have a search function which can help you zero in on distro's which meet your needs or interests. Google linux is a google search engine which returns linux specific results, so if you have a question about say LXDE desktop, it will give you relevant search results on the LXDE linux desktop. Most linux questions can be researched and solved this way.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    bwz
    hazel,

Thanks for the encouraging welcome and the interesting information!

bwz
    MASONTX,

Thank you for the welcome and the links and explanation on how to find what will suit my needs and interests, and how to research and solve most of my Linux questions!

I am so excited!