Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got an old computer with the following characteristics: Intel(R) Pentium(R)D CPU 2.66 GHz 2.66GHz, 496 MB RAM I did a fresh install of Windows XP and them tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Error installing Ubuntu

I've got an old computer with the following characteristics:

Intel(R) Pentium(R)D CPU 2.66 GHz 2.66GHz, 496 MB RAM

I did a fresh install of Windows XP and them tried to install Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx) opening the Ubuntu CD from inside the Windows XP. I did it because I get an error message when trying to install directly from the CD. Opening the Ubuntu CD from Windows give you the possibility of restarting and if you can't do it them give you also the option to install a help to Boot. I did install the help option because I couln'td' restart directly.Then I let the machine doing the steps. It restarted, gave me the options to Boot from Windows or Ubuntu. I clicked Ubuntu, and it tried to start. Then gave me the following messages:

cp: cannot stat '/custom-installation/initrd-override/*': No such file or directory

(initramfs) stdin: I/0 error

mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: No such device Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Can anybody help me to understand whats happening here?.

Just Joined!
    As far as I understand, you would like to install ubuntu on windows, so please google "wubi ubuntu" installar which is highly suggested for newbies. Wubi is a installar program which allows user to install ubuntu on windows like a regular application. It makes changes on MBR of the computer. you can uninstall ubuntu via add and remove software, it also restores master boot record successfully when ubuntu is uninstalled.
    I hope, that helps you.

Just Joined!
    Thanks artuyild. I don't want to install Ubuntu on Windows. I just tried to install from Windows because I got an error when I formatted the original Windows and tried to install Ubuntu, and only Ubuntu, directly from the CD

What happened when you tried to boot the installation disk?

Your PC is similar to many P4 machines I have put together.
    Suggest using the dd command at the command line of System Rescue CD to clean up your hard drive before installing.
    After booting to it, hit defaults a couple times and at the multi-colored prompt at screen where it asks for user to enter either "wizard" or "startx" type in
    PHP Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync 
    and wait until it is done. At the same prompt, type in <startx > then < gparted > in the yellow-colored terminal that appears and partition your hard drive. When done partitioning with gparted, just type < init 6 > at the terminal for a reboot.

antiX-M8.5-i686 or zenwalk Standard would work well for you as is.

If you desire ubuntu, up RAM to 768 and go with lubuntu, as a recommendation.

Or take your pick here

No, I do not care what is going on, but I do know what I would do to solve it! Ask an engineer!

Best wishes, amigo!

Just Joined!
    rcgreen: When I tried the first time the boot installation disk I got the same error message I mentioned at the beginning. So I installed Windows XP and tried to install Ubunto from it getting the error again. Now I formatted the disk again and tried to install Ubuntu again with the boot installation disk.It tryies to begin the installation but in some moment the screen becomes dark blue and nothing more happens. So I am not getting more error messages, simply nothing more happens.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    That might be a corrupt iso file or a bad burn of the CD.

I would firstly check the MD5SUM of the .iso file against the official Ubuntu ones which can be found here. I'm afraid that I don't know how to generate the MD5SUM of a file using Windows.

If the MD5SUM is NOT the same, try downloading again. If it is the same, I would try burning another CD but forcing your burner to use a very low speed.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    elija:
    I've already installed two computers with this Ubuntu CD (Lucid Lynx) without any troubles. It is interesting that I am getting the same error with two other Linux CD's, one Ubuntu (Karmic Koala) and the other Mint (Helena). I have installed a computer with these two CD's without any troubles too.

Just Joined!

Error installing Ubuntu (solved)

Many thanks to all of you guys wich gave me your suggestions. Yes Zenwalker, you know how to solve the problem. I followed your instructions and everything worked like a charm. Thank you amigo.