Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Just watched City of Life and Death City of Life and Death (2009) - IMDb It was well done in Black and White and reminded me of The Pianist The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just watched

City of Life and Death

City of Life and Death (2009) - IMDb

It was well done in Black and White and reminded me of

The Pianist

The Pianist (2002) - IMDb

And Defiance

Defiance (200 - IMDb
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Finally got around to watching all The Lord of the Rings movies again the other day and still like them. The movies might not be quite as good as the story itself, but they are quite entertaining none the less.
    This is exactly how I feel about the movies. Nothing can ever replace the version of this epic story that I see in my mind every time I reread these (which averages around once every 2-3 years), but if they had to be put on film, I think Jackson did a pretty damn good job. The story was already in the bag for him (i.e., he didn't butcher it too badly), but the scenery and music were awesome. I would have liked a taller, less nasally Strider, but everybody else was spot on, casting and performance-wise. Gandalf (Ian) was so good in the movies, he alone, has made the "cross-over" in the books (I see him now when I'm reading them). I'd also rather have monsters in rubber suits than CGI (seriously), but I'll take what I can get. The exception to that is the Balrog, of course - he rocked it. Ai! A Balrog!

I have to say, though, at the end of ROTK, there's a scene I'd like to cut: the Hobbit "reunion" on Frodo's bed. You know what I'm talking about.

Now it's time to look forward to the release of The Hobbit movies by Peter Jackson
    Oh, yeah. As a die-hard Tolkien fan, I'm anxiously awaiting this release. I hope it is up to the high standard that PJ has already set (and I'm glad he stepped in and took over the project from what-his-nuts). I am kinda nervous about the one that will be written from scratch for the movie (or so I heard).

I have the Ralph Bakshi animated movie, The Lord of the Rings, that came out in the late 70s. It used a rare technique called rotoscoping, where they shoot live footage using actors, then animate over that. The result is pretty trippy. It starts with FOTR and ends around the middle of TTT, kind of anticlimactic. He wanted to finish it but couldn't get funding. The movie will not win over the average movie watcher, but if you're a fan, and haven't seen it, check it out. Oh, and if you're a Star Wars freak, 3PO voices Legolas.

The Lord of the Rings (1978 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMDb - The Lord of the Rings (1978)

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, I can't think of any actors in the films that didn't do a good job. Even Grima Wormtongue was cast brilliantly, and I do agree that the Balrog was topnotch! Gandalf definitely stole the show whenever he was present. I personally preferred him as Gandalf the Grey, but also liked him immensely as Gandalf the White. I have several copies of all the different LOTR releases by Peter Jackson (some still unopened), but much prefer the extended version releases. I'm going to wait for prices to come down before buying the Blu-ray releases, plus I've heard about some product quality issues that might cause me to wait for the next round of Blu-ray releases.

I took a look at the animated version you posted above and was surprised to see John Hurt as the voice for Aragorn. I've never been able to get into full animation films, but might check it out anyway because I am a big Tolkien fan. Thanks for the suggestion.

After reading LOTR for the first time, it was immediately clear that I had to have more so The Hobbit came next, then on to The Silmarillian. I'm thinking that there will not be a film made of that one, at least any time soon, if ever.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Even Grima Wormtongue was cast brilliantly
    Funny you mention Wormtongue, I was thinking particularly of him, too.

I personally preferred him as Gandalf the Grey, but also liked him immensely as Gandalf the White.
    Ditto.

I took a look at the animated version you posted above and was surprised to see John Hurt as the voice for Aragorn. I've never been able to get into full animation films, but might check it out anyway because I am a big Tolkien fan. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Gandalf is great in that version, too. Sam is absurd/hilarious. Try not to be too put off by Aragorn's short hair, he makes it work.

After reading LOTR for the first time, it was immediately clear that I had to have more so The Hobbit came next, then on to The Silmarillian.
    I started w/The Hobbit back in Jr. High and it pretty much changed my opinion of books as a form of entertainment. I've read and re-read The Silmarillian and Lost Tales and The Children of Hurin and anything else I can get my grubby hands on.

I'm thinking that there will not be a film made of that one, at least any time soon, if ever.
    Never.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Funny you mention Wormtongue, I was thinking particularly of him, too.
    I thought his portrayal of Wormtongue was some of the finest acting in this whole series of movies. I do not know why Brad Dourif does not get more recognition for his outstanding work. I think he is a fantastic actor. He's played in a ton of great movies and some not so great (see "Bride of Chucky" and "Seed of Chucky")
    Brad Dourif - IMDb
    He also played in an HBO series called "Deadwood". It was one of my favorite TV shows until HBO canceled it and the story was never finished. I did hear rumors saying they were going to make a movie but that's all I ever heard about it.

Here is a link to the HBO Deadwood series if anyone is interested.
    Deadwood (TV Series 2004–2006) - IMDb
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Personally, I was happy with the whole casting selection.
    Anybody who didn't like Christopher Lee as Saruman can talk to the White Hand!
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Anybody who didn't like Christopher Lee as Saruman can talk to the White Hand!
    Oh, no, you dih-hunt!
    MikeTbob and jayd512 like this.

Oh, no, you dih-hunt!
    LOL uh oh a LOTR forum war.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    LOL uh oh a LOTR forum war.
    Yeah, b/c there aren't enough of those clogging the interweb...but if it does come down to fighting, Jay, I call Gandalf!

Yeah, b/c there aren't enough of those clogging the interweb...but if it does come down to fighting, Jay, I call Gandalf!
    ROFL!
    I guess I'll be the Balrog... He and the Witch King are the only ones that put up a good fight!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast