Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Are you male or female?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • female

4 8.70%
  • male

42 91.30%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is your gender? We always seem to have more males, but the number of females using Linux seems to be on the increase. Note that the poll from last ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

What is your gender? (2011)

What is your gender?

We always seem to have more males, but the number of females using Linux seems to be on the increase.

Note that the poll from last year has been locked but can be found here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ll-2010-a.html
    oz

I'm still tryina push my WinHead girl into Linux, so far not so good .
    Though Mint 10 has got her lil' attention.

Same gender as last year.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Ehem! Ehem!

Yep, male! Same as last year
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    My sister used to play with my Ubuntu installation but, the fact that I couldn't get iTunes working properly didn't float well with her. (I know I could get iTunes working but, generally it's an older version which makes syncing between my Windows and Linux OSes impossible).

The big thing is getting more commercial programs to run or making an easier/better wine (if I could use my Windows installation as the bases of Wine and just use a few special drivers I bet I could get perfect compatibility, unfortunately I don't know enough to make such a program).

Once Linux can run any Windows program and is just as if not easier to use then, Linux will be an equal (and people of both genders will start to use it more).

Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post
    Once Linux can run any Windows program and is just as if not easier to use then, Linux will be an equal (and people of both genders will start to use it more).
    Well, yes. If Linux could simply be Windows, it would be Windows, wouldn't it. But what would be the point of that?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    Well, yes. If Linux could simply be Windows, it would be Windows, wouldn't it. But what would be the point of that?
    I mean have a program like WINE that makes Linux compatible with all Windows programs. It would still be linux and have all the power of linux, it would just have perfect compatibility.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post
    I mean have a program like WINE that makes Linux compatible with all Windows programs. It would still be linux and have all the power of linux, it would just have perfect compatibility.
    This seems silly. The only way to have complete compatibility with Windows is to BE Windows. You have to accept that you're on a different platform. Just like not all Windows programs are on Mac and not all Mac programs are on Windows.

I guess I'm one of the minorities here, but not that many people answered the poll anyway so... :/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RACiE View Post
    This seems silly. The only way to have complete compatibility with Windows is to BE Windows. You have to accept that you're on a different platform. Just like not all Windows programs are on Mac and not all Mac programs are on Windows.

I guess I'm one of the minorities here, but not that many people answered the poll anyway so... :/
    I was just thinking for Dual Booters like myself it would be nice if we could use an existing Windows install to run most of our Windows Programs. At least use the Windows versions of the most popular programs like iTunes, Office (I think WINE supports this now), and Skype (the linux version last I checked doesn't support video chat which is the whole point behind Skype for someone like me). The current idea behind WINE is to use Windows binaries and a few tweaked Windows binaries to run Windows Programs as if they were native to a Linux environment. This would simply be an extension of that system that utilizes a full set of Windows Binaries (ergo an actual installation) and would by it's nature use the real Windows Drive as it's Windows Drive thus allowing profiles to be synced (I could go back and forth which and have my settings synced).

In any case I digress. The comment was supposed to be a quick idea as it's not really the point behind this thread. My whole point in bringing it up was that if Linux could run the programs people use in their Windows Desktops without worrying to much about compatibility issues then more people in general may switch to Linux. Plus this kind of program would still require a Windows install which should make Microsoft Happy enough.

Either we have gotten off topic or Windows, Mac, and dual boot are code for the real answer to the gender poll. Dual boot I can figure out, but is mac or windows the male?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast