Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Do you run 32-bit Linux, or 64-bit Linux?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 64-bit

38 56.72%
  • 32-bit

24 35.82%
  • Other (please specify)

5 7.46%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
With 3 desktops and 2 laptops, I run a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit, depending on the machines specs....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

With 3 desktops and 2 laptops, I run a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit, depending on the machines specs.
    Registered Linux user #526930

32 bit since most of the machines sold where I am is running this particular specs.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    32 bit since most of the machines sold where I am is running this particular specs.
    I've never thought about it before but it would make sense that it's hard to get the latest and greatest machines when you live in the middle of a very large lake.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    32-bit for me. I don't think there are many x64 netbooks in exsistence anyway.

Linux Newbie
    Is it worth switching to 64-bit yet? Is performance better?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonantice View Post
    Is it worth switching to 64-bit yet? Is performance better?
    The biggest boost is that you get to use (much) more RAM with a 64 bit OS. As far as strict performance goes, though (considering only processing power), i think 64 bit is still a little lacking. Honestly I would still recommend making the transition, though, especially if you have access to more than 4 GB of RAM.

I have almost stopped using my netbook ... I like my 15-incher with 64-bit Crunchbang Statler very much. It is the happiest I have been with a hardware/software combo.

I run 'em both - in fact I have 64 bit Fedora on my desktop and the wife has 32 bit on hers. I really can't tell the difference, there's no huge gap in performance and everything just works. There were issues 18 months or so ago, when Flash wouldn't work properly but those are long gone.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    The biggest boost is that you get to use (much) more RAM with a 64 bit OS. As far as strict performance goes, though (considering only processing power), i think 64 bit is still a little lacking. Honestly I would still recommend making the transition, though, especially if you have access to more than 4 GB of RAM.
    I thought the amount of RAM was a non-issue because pae enables 32-bit processors to use up to 64GB of memory. Next time I do a clean install I might consider 64-bit but for now I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I thought the amount of RAM was a non-issue because pae enables 32-bit processors to use up to 64GB of memory.
    But that's more or less a crutch. This only enables you to use up to 64GB altogether, but the memory of one process is still limited to 4GiB.
    PAE is useful for system that can't migrate to 64bit (e.g. the processor doesn't allow this, you have very special 32bit-only applications etc.) but for other systems I would recommend switching to real 64bit.
    I know, the address length is bigger (64bit instead of 32bit) but systems where this is a problem couldn't make use of 64bit or PAE anyway due to very limited memory.

Here is an article about the performance of 64bit vs 32bit: Linux.com :: 64-bit performance in Gentoo Linux
    This article is from 2005 but still worth reading.
    Refining Linux Advent calendar: 24 Outstanding ZSH Gems

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast