Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Do you run 32-bit Linux, or 64-bit Linux?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 64-bit

38 56.72%
  • 32-bit

24 35.82%
  • Other (please specify)

5 7.46%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Do you run 64-bit Linux, or do you continue to run 32-bit Linux? Note that the poll from last year has been closed, but you can find it here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...4-32-bits.html...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Running 32-bit or 64-bit Linux? (2011)

Do you run 64-bit Linux, or do you continue to run 32-bit Linux?

Note that the poll from last year has been closed, but you can find it here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...4-32-bits.html
    oz

64 bit as host machine.
    Have to use 32 bit as guest machines As my laptop doesn't support VT .

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    64 bit all the way
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    I've been running 64-bit for several years now and thus far have not regretted it. I'm wondering if this will be the year when 64-bit users might finally surpass the number of 32-bit users? If not, perhaps they will at least come close to equaling 32-bit users.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Since getting my netbook, I've been running exclusively 32-bit. I try to stay 64-bit when I have the hardware, but it's no longer my main-stay. I'm sure my next netbook will be 64-bit, though (in 5 years)

Just Joined!
    I currently have a mixture of both. My main desktop runs 64 bit, while my two other desktops are 32 bit

I do have a laptop that I'm in the middle of getting fixed that is 64 bit, so I guess you could say that it's 50/50...

Running 64 bit on dual core Desktops (for awhile now). i686 on Netbooks and older Laptops and one older Desktop.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I selected other, due to my personal preference of "Flip Flopping". I use 64 bit one day and 32 the next....I guess it only depends on my mood.
    If I'm feeling I go with 64 Bit
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've been running 64-bit for several years now and thus far have not regretted it. I'm wondering if this will be the year when 64-bit users might finally surpass the number of 32-bit users? If not, perhaps they will at least come close to equaling 32-bit users.
    I would say that the world is well onto the transition to 64-bit as their primary OS kernel, thanks to Microsoft's improvements in 32-bit/64-bit compatibility.

The way i see it, Microsoft's move of including the entire Win32 stack alongside its 64-bit kernel has paid off handsomely. Unlike Linux distros which either draw a clear line between pure 32-bit and pure 64-bit versions or only including a small subset of 32-bit libraries in the 64-bit version, Microsoft has gone and dumped its entire 32-bit library right smack into the 64-bit version, sacrificing size for compatibility. This means that users no longer have to worry about arch compatibilities, and as such moving over to 64-bit in the Windows world is proceeding along rather smoothly.

As for the Linux side, I'd say that there is little reason to remain on 32-bit as well, as almost every single API, library and app out there already has been ported over to x64 for quite a long time already. In fact, I dare say that there are only three compelling reasons to stay on 32-bit distros:

1. Processor does not support x64
    2. using NDISwrapper for WiFi drivers as NDIS6 (Vista) is still not supported in NDISwrapper, and 64-bit drivers for WiFi adapters are typically available only in the NDIS6 format
    3. popular addons like Flash is still not ready for x64 (Adobe keeps pulling their trial x64 Flash plugin every once awhile).

I have used 64 bit for the last 5 years or so, and tested it before that. If the machine is 64 bit capable, I see no need to run 32 bit.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast