Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What desktop environment or window manager (GUI) are you running?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome

25 48.08%
  • KDE

17 32.69%
  • LXDE / Xfce4

1 1.92%
  • Enlightenment

1 1.92%
  • Fluxbox / Openbox / etc)

2 3.85%
  • Other (please specify)

6 11.54%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by ozar I've been playing around once again with icewm for the last few days myself, jay. Just curious... what apps are you using for file manager, text ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've been playing around once again with icewm for the last few days myself, jay. Just curious... what apps are you using for file manager, text editor, terminal, cd/dvd burning, etc?
    Still picking and choosing for some things, but so far I'm sticking with small footprint apps.
    File manager is Rox. Text editor is mousepad for notes that I save for myself... but if I'm messing with a config file I've always used vim.
    Abiword is great for anything that needs a little more finesse.
    Terminal is, currently, just 'terminal' that is packaged with Slack.
    Media burning was a bit of a decision for me. I like k3b. Love it, in fact. And for a heavier desktop, that's my go to burner. but I'm going lightweight, so Brasero is it for me. Not as pretty as k3b, but very functional. And mplayer or xmms handles my media playback.

I think the most off-the-wall choice was what to use for screenshots, though. I don't need the Gimp, cuz I don't do any image manipulation. So I went with scrot.

My Slack install is still a work in progress, so there's still a few tools that I haven't gotten around to.
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-12-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Still picking and choosing for some things, but so far I'm sticking with small footprint apps.
    Just curious... was "Pox" a typo, and you meant Rox as file manager?

I've been using some of the same or similar apps in no particular order of importance, including the following:

Rox (file manager)
    Leafpad (editor similar to Mousepad)
    Urxvt (it's a great terminal app)
    Recorder (burning app)
    Epdfview (pdf viewer)
    Abiword (word processing)
    Xine (media player)
    Xarchiver (compression/decompression)
    Gimp (image editing/manipulation)
    Mirage (image viewer)
    ImageMagick (screenshots)
    Feh (backgrounds)
    Xorg-xcalc (calculator)
    Pysolfc (games)

I've been considering xfburn for cd/dvd burning since it doesn't pull in lots of dependencies and remains lightweight, but has quite a few features. I'd like to use PcmanFM for file management, but every version that I've tried has problems of one sort or another, or it wants to pull in some dependencies that I don't want installed.
    oz

Yeah... typo. I fixed it.
    I've used Leafpad. Not much different than mousepad.
    For my backgrounds and wallpapers, I just edit my ~/.icewm/preferences file.
    As far as games go, I don't play very many, but they are: NetHack, Frozen-Bubble, Chromium-BSU and Assualt Cube.
    Wine for Diablo 2.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    [QUOTE=ozar;864619]
    Abiword (word processing)
    I went off Abiword big-time when I found it doesn't do intelligent quotes. I mean even MS Wordpad does that!
    ImageMagick (screenshots)
    Why not get screenshots off the Gimp?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    @ hazel

I would use LibreOffice or OpenOffice if they weren't so bloated, or perhaps I should say downright HUGE, but I've not found any other suitable replacements for AbiWord.

As for Gimp, I've used it for screenshots before, but to be honest I rarely fire up Gimp and have been thinking about dumping it along with ImageMagick altogether, then just using the very lightweight Scrot for those occasional screenshots.

All that said, I enjoy using lightweight standalone WMs and apps, but always soon start missing the polish and really good apps that come with full-blown DEs. like KDE and Gnome. Even Xfce feels more polished and complete than those WM systems that I piece together, but I'm not really sure where I'll eventually land, or if I ever will fully land anywhere for that matter.

In the end, it might be that I'm slightly addicted to switching distros, DEs, WMs, apps, etc.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've just installed Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity on my netbook and the first impressions are that it's come a long way in six months. It looks better and feels sharper even on titch. So, even though I don't think I'll ever be a real fan, kudos to Canonical for the work they've put into it. On a side note, Ubuntu One still seems to be flaky as something that's really flaky!

Titch is a little netbook with an Intel Atom N270 dual core processor and a single GB of RAM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Every time I get around to installing IceWM, I end up installing and switching to Openbox about a week or two later, and it just happened again. OB always feels just a little bit faster to me and I like that it doesn't come with its own panel.
    oz

e17. Love it, too. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's been extremely stable for me, very fast, and really slick looking, too.

I used to also have KDE4.6 installed and would only use some of the bundled apps. I moved away from this eventually. I really liked konsole and dolphin but that wasnt enough of a reason for me to keep kdelibs and whatnot installed.

oz
    forum.guy
    Well, I've continued to switch back and forth for the last few months between Gnome3, KDE4, Openbox, and Xfce, with each of them running independently and on separate drives, but but I'm getting close to dumping Gnome3 and KDE4, although I could use them in a pinch. Frankly, I'm tired of looking forward to each new release where they've eliminated a few bugs, only to find that they've introduced plenty of new ones in an effort to add new features that many users don't need or want.

Xfce and Openbox, while not as polished, are much less bloated, run faster, break less often, and are working quite well on my machines. I'm expecting Xfce to up and get all "fancified" (yes, I know that's not a word) next, so then I'll be left with Openbox only, unless IceWM manages to find its way back onto my machines, and that could happen.
    oz

I'm still using Gnome 2 here.
    Full time computer science student, spare time OS developer.
    @bemk92 on twitter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast