Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
When I started using Linux FVWM95 was a popular WM though I was experimental back then and I tried a lot of them like OLWM and MWM and even TWM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

When I started using Linux FVWM95 was a popular WM though I was experimental back then and I tried a lot of them like OLWM and MWM and even TWM and more I can't even recall. I finally settled on running Afterstep for a while until one of the developers of that left to start WindowMaker. I was a big devotee of WindowMaker for a long time after that. Although I did try out KDE version .14 because of all the hype. I cannot say as KDE .14 was very usable and I only stayed in it for a grand total of about 15 imutes. Although it did take me around 3 weeks to get it to run on the distro I was using at the time. Slack 7 if memory serves me, could have been 3.5 too though it was a while ago now. I was never too big of a Gnome fan. I really used to have stability issues with it as in Bug Buddy would pop up a lot when I was running Gnome only to crash itself. I found that really annoying. But I always did like a lot of the Gnome apps so I always had it installed, just never used Gnome as my DE.

I'd still be using WindowMaker if it was being actively maintained. I liked the utilities I could get for it and it did all I really needed. There really is no middle ground today between the big pig desktop environments and the light weight window managers. Honestly I can't stand Gnome or KDE today but what can one do? The desktop was never Linux's forte and does not look like it is Linux's future either.

World Domination may happen yet, just not in ways anyone thought of back when the phrase changed from a joke to a possibility.

Banned
    Multiple desktops never caught on with me. I've always had them but never used them. If I do something on another desktop I just forget about it and do it over on the desktop I am in. I never grew too fond of virtual scrolling desktops even. I like everything I have going in view right in front of me I guess. I do like high resolutions and big screens though. Oh I can't stand tabbed browsing either come to think of it. I always open in a new window or just move along.

Quote Originally Posted by pfred1 View Post
    Multiple desktops never caught on with me. I've always had them but never used them. .... Oh I can't stand tabbed browsing either come to think of it. I always open in a new window or just move along.
    I rarely use multiple desktops, and almost always have each window maximized - I use the whole monitor area for the task being completed. I tend to use tabbed browsing & prefer it to multiple windows. I adjust desktops from the default 4 to 2 - just in-case I find a use for them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Gnome and LXDE are my two favorites. I have Gnome on my desktop and LXDE on my laptop. Inever really liked KDE, it just seemed like I had more problems with setting up my hardware in KDE. XFCE is ok, JWM is usable, but not my favorite, and fluxbox, IceWM, and openbox are ok, but I prefer Gnome or LXDE to them.
    Curious to see LXDE mentioned favorably, with openbox as just "ok". The default window manager for LXDE is openbox. Aside from a little name change, lxde-rc.xml vs. just rc.xml, configuration is about the same. Appearance is the same. What is the difference that makes one good and the other ok?

I use openbox almost exclusively currently. Mostly because I'm comfortable with it now. I like pekwm as well, mostly because it supports rounded corners with themes, unlike openbox. I have KDE4 installed on one machine, but almost never use it from the GUI, mostly it's a box I ssh into. I like openbox and pekwm for the stability and ease of configuration. With KDE and GNOME, it seems there's always some weird little thing going wrong, some configuration file getting corrupted. I swear even with only using the KDE4 GUI a couple times a week, at least once a month I have to delete some config file due to problems. I also don't like how I'm never quite sure what all is happening without my knowledge in KDE and GNOME. Gconf in GNOME is hardly better than the Windows registry as far as I'm concerned.

Openbox and LXDE may be the same under the hood, but those distro's I've tried which listed openbox were ok, while I just liked the ones marked LXDE better. Maybe it just a false impression, or maybe the way the different distros packaged them made me more favorable to one over the other.
    Distrowatch lists them as seperate in the search criteria, and my experience has been with Lubuntu and Mint LXDE which listed LXDE as the desktop environement, and Crunchbang which list Openbox as the desktop environment. I like Crunchbang, I just like Mint LXDE and Lubuntu better.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by pfred1 View Post
    Multiple desktops never caught on with me. I've always had them but never used them. If I do something on another desktop I just forget about it and do it over on the desktop I am in. I never grew too fond of virtual scrolling desktops even. I like everything I have going in view right in front of me I guess. I do like high resolutions and big screens though. Oh I can't stand tabbed browsing either come to think of it. I always open in a new window or just move along.
    When I started with Linux, multiple desktops were the great "Oh my gosh, how amazing!" for me. My Windows desktop seemed so crowded in comparison. I've always used them.

I agree about gnome and KDE being bloated, but it's not true that there's no intermediate option. lxde is basically openbox with frills and it doesn't take up much more room but it has all the convenience of a DE. I'd recommend it without hesitation to people who want something small and fast but don't want to work with a bare window manager.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Banned
    reed9,
    I've run both KDE and Gnome for a very long time and I must say I have never had issues of configuration file corruption with either of them. Your experiences might just be unique to you, cough you use Arch cough.

ArchFUD.

I've had the experience across multiple distros and it crops up on the forums a decent bit. My wholly biased and unscientific impression is that it happens more with KDE than GNOME and less with KDE 4.5 than earlier releases.

Banned
    I've run KDE 3.X since it came out non stop 24/7/365 can't say as I've ever seen it. SuSE 7 and Debian Lenny. Running Gnome now in Squeeze being as I can't stand KDE 4. Not too wild about Gnome either but such is the way of the world. Desktop Linux does appear to be dying.

What? Desktop linux dying? Please don't tell me I have to go back to windows!!!
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast