Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before i dive into Linux I want to make sure im able to do just about the same on linux as i can with windows. I plays lots of online ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Few more questions

Before i dive into Linux I want to make sure im able to do just about the same on linux as i can with windows. I plays lots of online poker so that must be workable occasianally i play a MMORPG (flyff) but other than that dont game that much...any ideas or suggested distros let me know see my rig Below

Intel i3-550 Dual Core
    Intel H57 Express Chipset
    4GB RAM (Expandable to 16GB) DDR3 10600
    320 and 500 GB SATA Hard Drives
    22" Flat Panel Monitor
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobakca View Post
    Before i dive into Linux I want to make sure im able to do just about the same on linux as i can with windows. I plays lots of online poker so that must be workable occasianally i play a MMORPG (flyff) but other than that dont game that much...any ideas or suggested distros let me know see my rig Below

Intel i3-550 Dual Core
    Intel H57 Express Chipset
    4GB RAM (Expandable to 16GB) DDR3 10600
    320 and 500 GB SATA Hard Drives
    22" Flat Panel Monitor
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

Hello!

The only way I can think of for now is that you can try to dual boot first a linux distro with your windows. Play with it for a few days and by then you might have a better feel if it serves your purpose.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Welcome onboard.

^Agreed with nujinini, for beggining, a dual boot solves the purpose and then it's on you what you like the most.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I too am a big supporter of dual-boot machines giving you the best of both worlds, at least until a user can overcome any and all obstacles preventing them from going Linux only.

Good luck with it.
    oz

Welcome to the forum. According to distrowatch.com's search function:
    1. linuX-gamers Live DVD
    The linuX-gamers Live DVD is a bootable medium with a collection of popular 3D games. It contains both the NVIDIA and ATI proprietary Linux drivers and includes the following games: BzFLag, Enemy Territory, Glest, Nexuiz, Sauerbraten, Torcs, Tremulous, True Combat: Elite, Warsow and World of Padman. Although the live DVD is based on Arch Linux, it does not offer any desktop Linux functionality except gaming.

2. LinuxConsole
    LinuxConsole is an independently developed Linux live CD with different editions designed for desktops, servers, gaming consoles, and old computers. Its primary characteristics are easy installation, extensive choice of software in the form of modules, and excellent hardware detection.

3. SuperGamer
    SuperGamer is a live DVD based on VectorLinux, intended to showcase gaming on Linux. The distribution is optimised for a gaming computer environment, with some tweaks to help speed up running from the live DVD. Extra games are added along with some demo editions of proprietary games. All games are native Linux games, but users wishing to run Windows games may install WINE or a related emulator, such as Cedega.

4. Ultimate Edition
    Ultimate Edition, first released in December 2006, is a fork of Ubuntu. The goal of the project is to create a complete, seamlessly integrated, visually stimulating, and easy-to-install operating system. Single-button upgrade is one of several special characteristics of this distribution. Other main features include custom desktop and theme with 3D effects, support for a wide range of networking options, including WiFi and Bluetooth, and integration of many extra applications and package repositories.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    now the only other question will it install over ubuntu??

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobakca View Post
    now the only other question will it install over ubuntu??
    If you reboot the machine with the CD/DVD installer in the drive, yes it will install over anything you tell it to, so be careful.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.