Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to understand why a company would pay for red hat when they can get a just as powerful version of linux, debian, for free? What are the upsides ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why redhat for enterprise level

Im trying to understand why a company would pay for red hat when they can get a just as powerful version of linux, debian, for free? What are the upsides to buying redhat?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    RedHat is free to download and do as you please, so in a way its free. What you pay for is support and an easy way to update the distribution. You don't get a support package with Debian and many versions of Linux, directly from the vendor. RedHat provides this, through their subscription model, so companies that require support would opt to "pay for" a product rather than get a free version.

Linux Guru
    You don't buy RHEL, you buy *support* for RHEL.

What enterprise-level company do you buy Debian support from? What server-level HW compatibility testing does the Debian development team do? What array, fiber HBA, NIC, etc. compatibility testing do 3RD party companies do for Debian?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    You don't buy RHEL, you buy *support* for RHEL.

What enterprise-level company do you buy Debian support from? What server-level HW compatibility testing does the Debian development team do? What array, fiber HBA, NIC, etc. compatibility testing do 3RD party companies do for Debian?
    Absolutely sensible reply.
    You nailed it. Period.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's the support that gets paid for. I personally prefer Debian based distros but our Linux servers at work are all Red Hat. There is something comforting about knowing that with a server down at 2am, you can phone for support
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    And for a bit of cynicism and comic relief, might I add that many people/companies do not believe "free" can be any good. (Not that I am accusing RHEL customers of being so narrow-minded as such)