Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I have installed Ubuntu Linux (Maverick) and am quite impressed. I would like to study for the CompTIA Linux + certification as I have already attained the A+ (although ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recomended study material for Linux +

Hello:

I have installed Ubuntu Linux (Maverick) and am quite impressed. I would like to study for the CompTIA Linux + certification as I have already attained the A+ (although quite some time ago) and Network+ certification (recently). I am still pretty new with Linux though and the regular study material seems to be loaded with too much Linux jargon at this point. What would one recommend as "stepping-stone" material to study first?

Thanks,

Mike C.

You can learn a lot from your system. Explore the directory structure and find out what lives where. A good way I found to learn the shell and the use of the utilities is to step through the startup scripts, finding out what each step does. The man pages on your system are packed with information on specific commands and files, but you might find the alternative info pages more user-friendly at the beginning; I certainly did.

For books, anything from O'Reilly is worth looking at. I always recommend Running Linux.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I don't know how much crossover there is from the RHCT/RHCE and the Linux+ stuff, but you should try Michael Jang's RHCE book,

Amazon.com: RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide (Exam RH302) (Certification Press) (978007226454: Michael Jang: Books

I can tell you firsthand that it has quite a lot of good information for the RHCE, and even if the Linux+ isn't very similar, it is still a lot of good information to know.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4