Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just joined the forum and wanted to say greetings to the community. I am new to linux and have not have not hardly used a computer for about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi, folks!

I have just joined the forum and wanted to say greetings to the community. I am new to linux and have not have not hardly used a computer for about a decade until recently. I have had quite a bit of experience with DOS/W9x networks and NT/Banyan severs, but that has been years ago and I've forgotten most everything from those days (although some of it is coming back very slowly). I've set up a network and have been running Debian on one box for a couple of weeks. I'm now in the process of trying to configure a 486 box as a router/firewall to take the place of my wireless router. I also plan to on having a linux authentication/file server. Any opinions on what flavor I should use for these? If one is not using a DE, aren't all of the Deb-based dists pretty much the same? I'm sure I will have many ? as I go along. Thank y'all in advance for your support and patience.

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE-- JIMI HENDRIX"

Hello and Welcome to LFO!
    We're glad you could join us and we hope you enjoy your visits here. On a side note, I think it's awesome that you are getting "restarted" with computers by starting off with Linux as this will mean you don't have any "windows habits" to break. I think people with years of experience on Windows tend to have a harder time than people who have hardly used a computer before.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome to the forum and back to computers. If you get stuck, or need help remembering something, try <Linux> - Google Search. It is a good source of answers and info. Of course, the forum is also a good source of answers if you can't find the answer on google.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    this will mean you don't have any "windows habits" to break.
    I think my years in DOS will help in that regard, I was very reluctant to switch to W3.11 because I thought, "Why go searching through a bunch of graphic windows for what you need when, with DOS, it's all at your fingertips?".
    Thanks for the welcome; I hope I will be up to speed enough soon so I will be able to contribute.