Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yup, im strait thug... haha. Anywho, names mike, I used to be into computers when I was younger, but ever since I got a car, my focus has been there. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Skeet skeet

Yup, im strait thug... haha.

Anywho, names mike, I used to be into computers when I was younger, but ever since I got a car, my focus has been there. But now I am not as into cars and getting back into computers. I love photography as well.

So, I am here at linuxforums, using vista, something is wrong with this picture.

I am currently doing my research on which distrobuter to go with, I looked at ubuntu? and also SuSE, I do like the looks of SuSE.

I dont do much at all with my computer, I do basic photoshop techniques, and I write essays and put together power points for school.

I will probably end up using GIMP for photos by the way.

The computer I use is very basic, I have an old desktop that I will be using as my Guinea pig, and once all goes well I will be running vista and linux together on my Dell Laptop.

My goal with Linux is just to be able to go through my photos and do minor adjustments to them, and browse the interwebz, and stream music off of pandora. Who has some suggestions on what distrobuter to go with? or should I bring this up in a different section? I want something very quick with the available memory (4gb), precise, and reliable. As I said, I don't do much with my computer. I also wouldnt mind being able to share the photos easily over the home network, which means sharing with windows XP and an iPad.

Welcome to the forum.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Choosing a distribution not only depends on what you want to do with it. Everything you mentioned can be done with every grown-up distro. Exception might be working with an iPad.
    Other criteria might be hardware recognition and ease of use.
    Personally I use PinguyOS, with everything working out of the box an a lot of eye-candy. Ubuntu is very good, but they have a strict policy toward Open Source and therefor, depending on your hardware, you have to add some drivers after installation.
    To read about distro's and there possobility's you can best visit distrowatch.com, very informative.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux