Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As a near 70 year old ex-engineer who has in my lifetime seen the good, bad, ugly, and useless side of life first hand, I find it almost unbelievable the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Patience Strong Rewarded

As a near 70 year old ex-engineer who has in my lifetime seen the good, bad, ugly, and useless side of life first hand, I find it almost unbelievable the amount of help and encouragement offered GRATIS by the open (unchained) community of people of all ages, creeds, and opinions. It takes me back to my younger days when expert advice was always on tap from a wide community of practising experts in their trade freely and without any rewards required. It was a lovely old world then as everyone I knew wanted to do something different and useful, it would have been nice to make a fortune, but satisfaction in what you achieved had more importance in those far off days. Then what happens!, this upstart called Linux showed his face to the status quo of the mafia like software giants. Hence was born the two fingered salute to the stranglehold of the 'olde worlde' rip em' off use use or else brigade. I do not mind paying for anything I need, but I strongly object to, nor would I provide a faulty item, then turn around after it is sold and say, "sorry you have paid cash up front in good faith but you do not own it, and if it wears out or is defective tough luck".
    Yet I can come along to a forum of real professionals in their trade or hobby, as hobbyists are in my opinion, professionals doing it for love. I know, model aircraft, and anything that rotates, powers , or moves, is my hobby along with linux.
    Many thanks to all you unsung, unpaid, sometimes unappreciated heroes of the Linux world, for your amazing and irrepressible fountain of knowledge, I hope the recipients will top it up in the future as a sign of respect for the job well done.
    DeltaBravo. If anyone newby or expert would like to add their (useful) comments please do so.

Warm welcome.
    It's always nice to hear from some real experienced folks like you. I hope you'll be a contributing part of this community in much more ways than only Linux.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by deltabravo View Post
    As a near 70 year old ex-engineer who has in my lifetime seen the good, bad, ugly, and useless side of life first hand, I find it almost unbelievable the amount of help and encouragement offered GRATIS by the open (unchained) community of people of all ages, creeds, and opinions. It takes me back to my younger days when expert advice was always on tap from a wide community of practising experts in their trade freely and without any rewards required. It was a lovely old world then as everyone I knew wanted to do something different and useful, it would have been nice to make a fortune, but satisfaction in what you achieved had more importance in those far off days. Then what happens!, this upstart called Linux showed his face to the status quo of the mafia like software giants. Hence was born the two fingered salute to the stranglehold of the 'olde worlde' rip em' off use use or else brigade. I do not mind paying for anything I need, but I strongly object to, nor would I provide a faulty item, then turn around after it is sold and say, "sorry you have paid cash up front in good faith but you do not own it, and if it wears out or is defective tough luck".
    Yet I can come along to a forum of real professionals in their trade or hobby, as hobbyists are in my opinion, professionals doing it for love. I know, model aircraft, and anything that rotates, powers , or moves, is my hobby along with linux.
    Many thanks to all you unsung, unpaid, sometimes unappreciated heroes of the Linux world, for your amazing and irrepressible fountain of knowledge, I hope the recipients will top it up in the future as a sign of respect for the job well done.
    DeltaBravo. If anyone newby or expert would like to add their (useful) comments please do so.
    LF has become a sort of home to me in my IT world. Welcome sir!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSharma View Post
    Warm welcome.
    It's always nice to hear from some real experienced folks like you. I hope you'll be a contributing part of this community in much more ways than only Linux.
    Regards.
    Hello Sharma, the well of knowledge is very deep, however if those who take from it, but do not replenish it, then it will surely dry up, to everyones loss. p.s a grain of salt like Linux has many diverse uses. kind regards, Bob.

if no one teaches then who learns?

Just Joined!
    I am very sorry Sharma that I got your message crossed with Nujinini, too many emails too quickly, but many many thanks for your kind reply, kind regards, Bob.

Just Joined!
    Hello Nujinini, I am very baffled by your reply, re; somewhere in the Pacific. I have travelled most of the world in my youth and seen many things as you may have gathered in my post. I like to know if my compass is correct, so if you could give me some vague headings i may be able to work out the location. There are many lovely places bordering the Pacific, there are a few that could do with a 'good seeing to' as we say over here in England. Anyway many thanks for your interest in my post, I do so hope that you reside in one of those havens of the Pacific. god bless you, kind regards, Bob.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Cebu

God bless you too!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Hello Masontx, thank you for your reply, I have been subscribed to the forum for a while now but have only just posted this thread. I could never get everything on my ancient computor to work properly with Linux until a week ago. I would have felt like a fraud if I had posted using windows, I just sat on the side and 'earwigged' as we used to say on the C.B. I tried for over 5 years on and off to find a distro that was compatible with my gear, so I am making the most of it whilst the system remains working.
    My son visited Texas 18 months ago, he said it was a huge place where one could drive all day and still be in Texas at nightfall. Kind regards, Bob.

Welcome deltabravo. You're from the UK right?

Perhaps you'd like to explain a 'two-fingered-salute' to our international contingent?

And can I just add that life was never better in the 'good old days'. In the 'good old days' people had rickets, children had to climb chimneys to clean them, and Birmingham was so coated in grime, pollution and smog that it got called 'the black country' - a name they'd never allow these days.

And the telly was in black and white. And I had to have a machine in the car that only played casette tapes. And Smarties had artificial colours that sent the kids nuts.

Bah humbug! Grumble over.

Anyway. Welcome to the forums. Or did I say that?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast