Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
i totally agree with sarumont, its kinda like the states giving china money, which they take to go buy nukes to aim at the states... M$ sees linux as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i totally agree with sarumont, its kinda like the states giving china money, which they take to go buy nukes to aim at the states...

M$ sees linux as a big threat to there market monopoly. And if you cant beat them, join them.. they are getting a hold in the linux market (you can see that with microsofts linux products) and are providing paid advertising on various linux sites in hopes of possibly 1) converting people back to windoze, and 2) if cant convert, get to use M$'s version's of linux (which in itself is an oxymoron)

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxNewb
    M$ sees linux as a big threat to there market monopoly. And if you cant beat them, join them.. they are getting a hold in the linux market (you can see that with microsofts linux products)
    Wait, WHAT? Since when does Microsoft sell Linux products? Where are they and what do they do?

and are providing paid advertising on various linux sites in hopes of possibly 1) converting people back to windoze, and 2) if cant convert, get to use M$'s version's of linux (which in itself is an oxymoron)
    I think personally if Microsoft were to scrap its own OS and build one on top of Linux or *BSD, it would be an excellent product. I don't dislike the Microsoft line of products so much as the corporation as a whole and how it behaves. Free market competition is good for everyone, and if Microsoft offered a Linux distribution I think they could make it a very competitive product.

I don't see Linux or Apple or anyone else completely killing Microsoft, but I look forward to a time when everyone is on a more even keel. Look at CPU and video card manufacturers. For a long time, Intel was *the* CPU and AMD was a nobody, now AMD is challenging Intel into making better products. The same goes for Nvidia and ATI. They're forced to make better products because the other guy is always trying to "one-up" them. This is a good thing.

I would like to see MS Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux (or BSD) all have closer to equal shares of the market so that they would have to compete on FEATURES rather than politics and legal strongarm tactics. Then the users would win.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

<rant>
    why? why does everybody care so much about the big corporations and the fact that they are big corporations? half of us own an xbox anyways, and last i checked that's a microsoft product. sony's a big corporation. yet we still buy their cd players and their televisions and their gaming consoles. are we supposed to make all of our clothes from scratch? are we supposed to build our own televisions out of bare components? are we supposed to do all that based on principle? cos if we did, that would cause two things:
    1) that would throw us back decades technogically
    2)more corporations would rise from the ashes
    why? well where do you think we'd buy our fabric? where do you think we'd buy our wires, our switches, our screens? are we all going to magically create them out of thin air. no. we are going to go out to a store and [expletive] buy them! and who will we buy them from? from the "evil" corporations who capitalize on the demand. and then we'll boycott them. and then what? do we all go out into the woods and pick grass and leaves and twine to make clothes? do we all go into some magical silicon land and build chips and memory and components? for the clothes example, yes. cos without the fabric, there are no clothes. the corporation has you there. you can take the computer example one step farther: do we go into silicon-land? no. we buy that [expletive] from the "evil baby-suffocating, hate-mongering corporations"!!!! it's an endless cycle.
    I know i make jokes about microsoft being inherently evil. but they are not. they make a product. i might not like the product, but windows is a viable option for 90% of america. microsoft makes money off of this, and they don't want people to steal their product. so they force you to register it. boo-[expletive]-hoo. you don't like it? then go buy a mac. or linux. or OS/2. or live without a [expletive] computer! they don't want people to steal it? that's their prerogative. it's their right. deal with it. if you don't like it, move to [expletive] france, douchetard.
    </rant>
    -lakerdonald
    [edit:i think i got all the f's out of there, though if i missed one, feel free to change it]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    half of us own an xbox anyways, and last i checked that's a microsoft product.
    I don't. I avoid it like the plague as a matter of fact.

microsoft makes money off of this, and they don't want people to steal their product. so they force you to register it. boo-[expletive]-hoo. you don't like it? then go buy a mac. or linux. or OS/2. or live without a [expletive] computer! they don't want people to steal it? that's their prerogative. it's their right. deal with it. if you don't like it, move to [expletive] france, douchetard.
    </rant>
    -lakerdonald
    Wow, lakerdonald. I think you may have pent up anger issues. To offer my two cents: I don't dislike the Microsoft Corporation *because* it's a corporation. I dislike Microsoft because of the way they act. They choose to push their products through litigation rather than innovation (even though that's their new buzzword). Last time I checked Sony wasn't suing Nintendo because they sell a competing game console.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

ever so often i just explode in a furious ball of rantage. then the vein in my forehead stops popping out for another month

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    ever so often i just explode in a furious ball of rantage. then the vein in my forehead stops popping out for another month
    Haha. To quote a scene from one of my favorite random animated shows:

< obscure reference >
    [ Carl shouts expletives, head explodes ]

Meatwad: "Why'd he do that?"
    Master Shake: "I dunno. Why shouldn't he?"

ROLL CREDITS

< /obscure reference >

Oh, but I wouldn't want to be thought of as hijacking this thread, so let me answer the question "Should be boycott LinuxToday.org?"

I can say completely, unequivocally, and finally: maybe.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

techieMoe

well a microsoft linux based operating system has been speculation for awhile

Read here :

http://windows.about.com/gi/dynamic/...ory/22729.html

also youve always got the joke page of mslinux :P but its still a scary thought

http://www.mslinux.org

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxNewb
    techieMoe

well a microsoft linux based operating system has been speculation for awhile
    Ewww.. They mentioned the Gartner group. Anything coming from them (or from Rob Enderle) is greatly suspect in my book.

On a historic note, Microsoft did have a UNIX-based OS called Xenix in 1987, bought through a company that later became The SCO Group.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Hmm...should we boycott LinuxToday.org, well, I can keep on not visiting the site, don't think I've ever been there...but now I am interested.

Linux Engineer
    Another interesting tidbit in this line...one of the google ads on the side bar to this page leads to an intersting page that has a movie in which microsoft shows a "non-biased" comparison between linux and windows. This video climaxes with a statement along the lines of, can't remember the exact quote and don't want to watch it again, "I just sleep better at night knowing that we run windows." Of course this is the same video that where someone else complains about trusting his business to something that is just "freeware." Check it out its pretty funny, with quite a bit of dramatic music playing in the background!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast