Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been gone due to on and off service. So my service call techs ("Windstream Communications) came out this morning. After ruling out my Kitchen improvement project (rerouting of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Only Works In Windows

I have been gone due to on and off service. So my service call techs ("Windstream Communications) came out this morning. After ruling out my Kitchen improvement project (rerouting of phone lines) and a bunch of other bull that they tried to baffle me with (they just did not know me). The 2 yahoos/techs decided my modem was bad and installed a new one.

Here is where it gets unfunny. Tech asks me to boot up my computer. "Where is Internet explorer", He asks. I click on the Firefox Icon and ask what he needs to type into the address bar. He tells me, "I got it from here". Up comes a Windstream green page on the monitor. He says he can not program the modem. I ask why. Next to open Window in small type. Compatible systems: Windows vista, and 7 and XP. Maybe Mac. I don't remember now but I did not see a leopard or tiger in the writing.

So. Windstream communications has firmware inside their new modems (no software install disk either), No usb connect port either, and DRM out the Ying Yang. Windstream default search engine also unless you disable it. Need to be techy to un_________ the durn thing.

That is like going to the auto parts store and saying Hyundai only. Chevy or Ford No got-teee. What a crok. Sheesh.

Living in a small town means limited options or expensive options (as I have checked).
    Dialup is not a option (personal tastes). Love being shoe horned into a corner as I get older. Limiting ones choices is always best for the customer because we are not capable of independent thought ourselves. Happily marching to the tune of a different drummer. Happy Trails, Rok

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Boot up Windows and Configure it, then boot back into Linux and use the Internet. I highly doubt they will even notice you got it working. Unless they have some sort of proprietary Interface, like AOL....it should work. Hell I bet their servers run Linux.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I got it working Bro. It just puts a gleam in my eye when I see a "you gotta" sign.
    Used my Wifes Windows 7 Acer Aspire to enable router (install their software).

Bad enough I deal with DRM on Motorcycles. It is working now. But I still have to configure their software setup to get rid of stuff they think I need in running of router. Like

Windstream has enabled a search redirect service that redirects you to a Windstream page whenever you perform a search from your browser.
    That was nice of em.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

We have Windstream at work, where it's the only option available in a small town. We complained about the speed of the narrowband (although we are paying for broadband) so much they just told us to go perform impossible functions on ourselves, in essence, and cut back the speed even further. We've been looking for another way to get broadband, but so far nothing. Cell phones only get Edge here, at best, no 3G, much less 4G. The cable company won't talk to us out in the sticks. We keep looking, and all of us are in agreement on one thing. Windstream sucks.

LOL!!
    Rok, that reminds me of when my modem went bad and the guy came in to replace it.
    He hooks up the new modem. I'm watching the screen on my computer which he is sitting in front of. The icon came up saying the network is connected but he didn't see it.

He then starts looking for my menu button.
    I tell him it's up there, meaning in the top task bar.
    He then opens it ands asks where is the ipconfig command?
    I tell him there isn't any.
    He gives me a weird look and says "Well how am I supposed to configure the ip address and check it?"

I tell him it is configured and gesture him to move out of the way.
    I open up Firefox and go to a couple of web pages to prove it's working.
    He looks at me and asks what OS I'm running.
    I tell him "Linux".
    He replies back that it's the craziest thing he's ever seen.
    I replied back "Yea, but it's way better and securer then Windows"

LOL!!

Problem we have with our customers at work is when they change providers and these idiot techs come in and change their computer IP address.
    We configure all the computers on the network to a static IP then map drives back to the server. These techs get on the server and change the IP address to obtain automatically and hose the whole system.

Corrupt local databases and crash the whole system.
    And they make sure they have left the premises before the customer gets a call into us.
    They know nothing about networking other then to automatically assign IP addresses.

I open up Firefox and go to a couple of web pages to prove it's working.
    He looks at me and asks what OS I'm running.
    I tell him "Linux".
    He replies back that it's the craziest thing he's ever seen.
    I replied back "Yea, but it's way better and securer then Windows"
    LOL. Must be a Mantra. Word for Word. His problem was without their firmware enabled using their proprietary software to turn on the modem. The techies/yahoos were lost. Point and click were They. And yeah. They Ski-daddled out of here as soon as their glazed over eyes heard the words "Linux". I used Windows 7 because of my Wife being able to dial in on their proprietary stuff. I got my gear sorted except for tweaking options yet. Love the sheep, being a lone wolf. Glad to see ya doing alright Taz.

Yeah sgosnell. Windstream does advertise and bill for Broadband. It is more like crippled I don't know what DSL though. No MB in my downloading of Isos. Even on Landline. More in the KB range. Sheesh. Windstream sux.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Sorry but I am going to enable smug git mode

<smug git mode enabled>
    When I signed up with my ISP about a year ago, I refused their pre-configured router on the grounds that I prefer to configure my own at which point the sales guy asked me what distro I was running. He also said that they didn't really support domestic clients with Linux but only because they so rarely had to. Additionally, they don't shape your traffic or kick you off on the word of "Big Music", if proof is provided then they will act and speaking as someone who neither downloads nor shares illegal files I think that attitude is spot on.

For those who are interested, they are in the UK but they are NOT CHEAP! They are called Zen Internet if I am allowed to say that.

Oh and since I have joined, my bandwidth has doubled thanks to ISP and phone company improvements at no extra cost.
    <smug git mode disabled>

Roky et al, I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. Competition in the ISP field is much fiercer over here and yet there are still more tales of woe than gems like my ISP. I suppose it is the difference between paying 10 a month for internet and phone and paying 30 a month just for your internet.

Hopefully some entrepreneur will start up with some competition soon.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Elija said:
    Hopefully some entrepreneur will start up with some competition soon.
    Problem is territorial rights and licensing.
    I live in a small town. Want DSL or cable internet service?
    You get the DSL from the phone company and the cable service from the cable TV company. But in the end it doesn't matter because both of them are owned by the same company.
    And they have the area wrapped up. No other competitor can come into the area and start a new service. The company is very large and provides a lot of jobs and revenue to the town and area so the local council has a license agreement and grants the company exclusive rights for the next 30 years or so.

On the plus side I will say that their service and advertised bandwidth is spot on.
    The con is that they don't provide great rates on bundled services like in the larger cities near us that have multiple competitors.

As for Linux support? LMAO!!!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I suppose it is the difference between paying 10 a month for internet and phone and paying 30 a month just for your internet.
    My father is currently paying around $70 (~50 euro) a month for DSL which peaks at about 200Kbps. I am almost yelling at him to drop it and switch to cable or even cellular/3G (although we're supposed to get 4G soon). So far, no luck, though...

But hey, at least I'm not on dial-up anymore *sigh*

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    Elija said:

Problem is territorial rights and licensing.
    I live in a small town. Want DSL or cable internet service?
    You get the DSL from the phone company and the cable service from the cable TV company. But in the end it doesn't matter because both of them are owned by the same company.
    And they have the area wrapped up. No other competitor can come into the area and start a new service. The company is very large and provides a lot of jobs and revenue to the town and area so the local council has a license agreement and grants the company exclusive rights for the next 30 years or so.

On the plus side I will say that their service and advertised bandwidth is spot on.
    The con is that they don't provide great rates on bundled services like in the larger cities near us that have multiple competitors.

As for Linux support? LMAO!!!
    That kind of sucks to say the least! Over here we benefit from a lot more companies competing a smaller area. It can still be challenging to find a good one though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    My father is currently paying around $70 (~50 euro) a month for DSL which peaks at about 200Kbps. I am almost yelling at him to drop it and switch to cable or even cellular/3G (although we're supposed to get 4G soon). So far, no luck, though...

But hey, at least I'm not on dial-up anymore *sigh*
    At least you are looking on the bright side
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!